[comp.sys.next] External SCSI disk cables

stuart@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Stuart Pearlman) (02/08/91)

I'd like to know what kind of cable I need to connect a Wren V SCSI
drive to a NeXTstation.  The wren has a 50 pin berg connecter.  Will
the SCSI2 to SCSI1 cable that NeXT sells work, or will I need
something else?  Thanks.

-stuart
--
Stuart Pearlman					stuart@dt.navy.mil
Trandes Corporation				+1 301 459 0200

isca@isca01.icaen.uiowa.edu (Iowa Student Computer Assoc) (02/09/91)

From article <5786@oasys.dt.navy.mil>, by stuart@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Stuart Pearlman):
> I'd like to know what kind of cable I need to connect a Wren V SCSI
> drive to a NeXTstation.  The wren has a 50 pin berg connecter.  Will
> the SCSI2 to SCSI1 cable that NeXT sells work, or will I need
> something else?  Thanks.

  For those of you (everyone?) who bought a NeXTstation and are adding
an external HD... you don't have to wait to get NeXT's cable (PN N7007).
Call up your favorite 3rd party HD company and order a SCSI cable for
a SUN SparcStation.  The vendor I got mind from (Fast Access in Elmhurst, IL)
called it a "mini-honda to centronics".  I bought a 6 foot cable (2x the
length of the NeXT's) and it works fine.

    - Dave

> -stuart
> --
> Stuart Pearlman					stuart@dt.navy.mil
> Trandes Corporation				+1 301 459 0200
> On-Contract-To: David Taylor Research Center	+1 202 227 1428
|  David Lacey                           | Try the ISCA BBS and Archives    |
|  President, Iowa Student Computer Assn | Telnet/FTP: isca.icaen.uiowa.edu |
|  The University of Iowa                | telnet/rlogin in as iscabbs      |
|  isca@icaen.uiowa.edu                  | 1.3 GIG of disk space and growing|

ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu (Doug DeJulio) (02/09/91)

In article <4352@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> isca@icaen.uiowa.edu writes:
> For those of you (everyone?) who bought a NeXTstation and are adding
> an external HD... you don't have to wait to get NeXT's cable (PN
> N7007).  Call up your favorite 3rd party HD company and order a SCSI
> cable for a SUN SparcStation.  The vendor I got mind from (Fast Access
> in Elmhurst, IL) called it a "mini-honda to centronics".  I bought a 6
> foot cable (2x the length of the NeXT's) and it works fine.

Hm.  All of my external drives need to use the flat ribbon kind of
SCSI connector, the kind many drives use internally.  Does anyone know
where I can get a "mini-honda to ribon" cable?  If not, I'll have to
get two cables to do the trick.
--
Doug DeJulio
ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu