[comp.sys.next] tape cartridges, was: floppy drives / old cubes

weigele@bosun1.informatik.uni-hamburg.de (Martin Weigele) (02/07/91)

osborn@cs.utexas.edu (John Howard Osborn) writes:

>Just for the general awareness, I finally got an answer for my question:
>"Do third party external drives function the same as the new internal drives
> from an OS/user point-of-view."

>I called a couple of manufacturers, didn't get my calls returned (I didn't
>try too hard, actually) and ended up calling NeXT.  The answer is "yes."
>These 3rd party drives and the NeXT internal drive are both SCSI devices.

Does anyone know whether this means that one could also use
third party SCSI tape cartridges (like the SUN ones) with the
existing system software ?

Martin Weigele
FB Informatik, Universitaet Hamburg, Germany

tempest@ecst.csuchico.edu (Kenneth K.F. Lui) (02/11/91)

In article <130157@gore.com> jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) writes:
>Well, one thing to discourage replacement of the drive chassis is the fact
>that it's also the case of the power supply.

The drive chassis bolts onto the power supply case.  They (the
chassis and power supply) are separate and are connected via the
same type of hex screws used to connect ODs and the rear panel.

Ken
tempest@ecst.csuchico.edu, tempest@walleye.ecst.csuchico.edu,|Kenneth K.F. Lui|
tempest@sutro.sfsu.edu, tempest@wet.UUCP                     |________________|