[comp.sys.next] Expensive memory

eht+@cs.cmu.edu (Eric Thayer) (02/08/91)

Another thing that I presume you are paying for when you buy memory from NeXT
is their quality assurance testing.  I presume this is worth something but
don't know the failure rates of SIMM's to be sure.  I DO know that we haven't
had any memory failures with "NeXT memory", but have with other memory.

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (02/11/91)

eht+@cs.cmu.edu (Eric Thayer) writes:

>Another thing that I presume you are paying for when you buy memory from NeXT
>is their quality assurance testing.  I presume this is worth something but
>don't know the failure rates of SIMM's to be sure.  I DO know that we haven't
>had any memory failures with "NeXT memory", but have with other memory.

	Well, since NeXT doesn't make memory chips, those they install are
provided by others meeting NeXT specifications. Yes, despite claims to the
contrary, memory is *not* a commodity. I'd certainly be interested to know
who supplies the memory and if there are any specifications peculiar to that
provided to NeXT.

uunet!media!ka3ovk!raysnec!shwake				shwake@rsxtech