[comp.sys.next] Why is NeXT memory so expensive?

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (02/07/91)

Mnay folks have pointed out that next is really overcharging
for memory (RAM and hard drive). Does anyone know why?

You could chalk it up to NeXT trying to skim some
easy profits---but this seems doubtful due to the sheer
magnitude of the overpricing, which will prevent just about
everyone from buying NeXT memory.

For example: for a 16MB RAM upgrade, NeXT wants $2995!!!.
Since the current retail RAM price is about $700--$800
for 16MB (depending on whether you use 1MB or 4MB SIMMs),
we see that NeXT is charging nearly 4x (!!) the going rate!
(ignore installation costs, which are a small fraction of that
markup).

Only an idiot would apply 300% markup in an effort to ``skim''
some profit. So there must be another explanation? Perhaps they
got stuck with a shipload of overpriced RAM back in 1986?

--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math

ccastcr@prism.gatech.EDU (Russo, Chris A.) (02/07/91)

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) writes:

>For example: for a 16MB RAM upgrade, NeXT wants $2995!!!.
>Since the current retail RAM price is about $700--$800

   What's the speed of the memory used in the NeXT computers??

--
Russo, Chris A.
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!ccastcr

mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu (Don McGregor) (02/07/91)

In article <1057@kaos.MATH.UCLA.EDU> barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) writes:

>For example: for a 16MB RAM upgrade, NeXT wants $2995!!!.
>Since the current retail RAM price is about $700--$800
>for 16MB (depending on whether you use 1MB or 4MB SIMMs),
>we see that NeXT is charging nearly 4x (!!) the going rate!
>(ignore installation costs, which are a small fraction of that
>markup).

  So don't buy from them.  You know other sources and have the
  technical background to do your own upgrades.

  High markups for such stuff is fairly standard among large computer
  manufacturers.  God, I hate to think what Apple charges for a memory
  upgrade, but as I recall it was even worse.  But they're in the
  business of building and selling computers, not disk drives and
  memory.  High prices 1) encourage a 3rd party market to spring up,
  2) hold down demand for the parts and lets the company concentrate
  on their main business.

  Some suits don't feel good about calling up chip merchant
  and ordering RAM. NeXT will take care of these guys, for a price;
  worry-free and painless computing is an important element of
  the market NeXT is aiming for, so this is good.
  But I'd rather have NeXT employees working on system software
  than as order takers for disks and RAM.  Small companies
  are better at supplying this market, and NeXT is better at building
  computers.  I think they should both stay in their respective
  fields and keep on doing a good job.

Don McGregor             |"Books ask difficult questions, but don't give
mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu| cars or Caribean cruises for right answers."

cafe@cbnewse.att.com (richard.dib) (02/07/91)

In article <21411@hydra.gatech.EDU>, ccastcr@prism.gatech.EDU (Russo, Chris A.) writes:
> barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) writes:
>
> >For example: for a 16MB RAM upgrade, NeXT wants $2995!!!.
> >Since the current retail RAM price is about $700--$800
>
>    What's the speed of the memory used in the NeXT computers??
100ns
> --
Richard Dib
AT&T BL

ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) (02/12/91)

On 11-Feb-91 in Re: Why is NeXT memory so e..
user Charles H. H. IV@jobs.ms writes:
>"Q. Can I use third party memory in my NeXT?"
>
>"A. In the NeXT cube and NeXTstation, Mac memory will work...."
>	"...NeXT will not supply technical support for memory provided
>	by a source other than NeXT" "... Memory for the NeXTstation
>	Color and NeXT Dimension is available only from NeXT."

My understanding is that the ColorStation uses 72 pin simultaneous
read/write simms.  Isn't that the same memory that is used in the Mac
IIfx?  Can anyone tell me for sure?

If so, there is a large number of mail order houses to choose from.

Len