[comp.sys.next] Buying a 030 cube from businessland

jin@elbereth.rutgers.edu (GLMJ) (02/10/91)

I plan to buy a cube ($2395) from businessland. Since I am a student with a
tight budget, I have to know much do they charge for S/H and the
surcharge for AMEX and VISA. How long is their warranty ?
Any information will be helpful. Thanks!

matt@convex.mitek.com (Matt Lyle) (02/11/91)

In article <Feb.9.18.30.19.1991.705@elbereth.rutgers.edu> jin@elbereth.rutgers.edu (GLMJ) writes:
>I plan to buy a cube ($2395) from businessland. Since I am a student with a
>tight budget, I have to know much do they charge for S/H and the
>surcharge for AMEX and VISA. How long is their warranty ?
>Any information will be helpful. Thanks!

I don't believe that they are charging a surcharge for VISA/AMEX, though I
wouldn't swear to it.  They are shipping the cubes via UPS brown label
(otherwise known as a slow boat to china) so the S/H charges shouldn't be
to outragous.  They warranty that they are offering is 30 days.

ice@wang.com (Fredrik Nyman) (02/11/91)

jin@elbereth.rutgers.edu (GLMJ) writes:

>I plan to buy a cube ($2395) from businessland. Since I am a student with a
>tight budget, I have to know much do they charge for S/H and the
>surcharge for AMEX and VISA. How long is their warranty ?
>Any information will be helpful. Thanks!
$35 S/H.
30 days warranty.
*PROBABLY* no credit card surcharge as that apparently is illegal in CA.
Oh yes, they'll charge your state's sales tax too.
--
Disclaimer: Wang doesn't care about my opinions, so why should you?
Internet: <ice@jasmine.wang.COM> <ice@wang.COM>  <ice@emil.csd.uu.se>

rkan@uhunix2.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Ray Kan) (02/11/91)

Has anybody gotten their cubes from the Businessland demo sale yet?
Anybody had any problems with them?  I understand these are used
demos...what kind of shape are they in?  For those that got them,
any problems needing warranty service?  And how was that service
from Businessland?  There are no Businesslands here so I don't
know anything about their reputation and service other than what's
posted here...any info would be appreciated.

--
	  Raymond W.M. Kan             |
Internet: rkan@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu  | THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK.

In article <21730@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt1546c@prism.gatech.EDU (Gatliff, William A.) writes:

>BTW, anyone have any idea how long these Businessland machines are
>going to hold out?
>b.g.

They had about 150, according to Norm Gilbert.

madler@pooh.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (02/11/91)

>> *PROBABLY* no credit card surcharge as that apparently is illegal in CA.

I ordered a printer and there was no credit card surcharge.

Just by the way, the illegality of such surcharges is disfunctional in CA.
What the companies do instead is give you a cash discount, which is legal.
Pretty dumb, huh?

Mark Adler
madler@pooh.caltech.edu

mikel@Apple.COM (Mikel Evins) (02/11/91)

In article <11393@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> rkan@uhunix2.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Ray Kan) writes:

>Has anybody gotten their cubes from the Businessland demo sale yet?
>Anybody had any problems with them?  I understand these are used
>demos...what kind of shape are they in?  For those that got them,
>any problems needing warranty service?  And how was that service
>from Businessland?  There are no Businesslands here so I don't
>know anything about their reputation and service other than what's
>posted here...any info would be appreciated.

I got my cube from this sale. I've had it for about two months,
and it's been excellent. I have to say, I think I got a very good
deal. Now, getting my upgrade (software or hardware), that's
Danother story (not a particularly unique one).
As far as I could tell, the cube had barely been touched at all.
Everything has worked swimmingly, except when, out of hacker
enthusiasm, I just exceeded the bounds of my knowledge and
Dfried things. Luckily, previous experience has taught me to
back things up, so no disasters.

I do get the feeling that Businessland mighyt be run by the
wee folk. Y'know; get the machine in your hand before turning
over any money. This may just be a false impression created by
the fact that their stores seem to be closing all over the place
around here.

I bought my cube from them; I think someone else I know is going
to. Mercifully, I've needed no service.:
fried things. Luckily, prevo
Dnot
a different story. Not a particularly uniw

isbell@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (Art Isbell) (02/11/91)

In article <b0o5p1.16j@wang.com> ice@wang.com (Fredrik Nyman) writes:
>gt1546c@prism.gatech.EDU (Gatliff, William A.) writes:
>
>>BTW, anyone have any idea how long these Businessland machines are
>>going to hold out?
>Probably not much longer. B'land apparently had about 500 machines to
>liquidate. When I called B'land about two weeks ago, they had roughly
>30 machines left.

Received email from B'land on Saturday stating that only 10-15 OD-only machines
remain, but "plenty" of 330 MB and 660 MB HD machines remain.
--
                                          _____   ____
Art Isbell                 |\   |         |    |  |   \   315 Moon Meadow Lane

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (02/12/91)

In article <b0o5p1.16j@wang.com> ice@wang.com (Fredrik Nyman) writes:
>gt1546c@prism.gatech.EDU (Gatliff, William A.) writes:
>
>>BTW, anyone have any idea how long these Businessland machines are
>>going to hold out?
>Probably not much longer. B'land apparently had about 500 machines to
>liquidate. When I called B'land about two weeks ago, they had roughly
>30 machines left.
>--

Well this post is for two purposes.

1. I think Bland has a lot more machines.  Actually I know they do.  I
picked up my cube on Friday.  I went to their distribution center in
Hayward, Ca. ( I live in Oakland).  I talked to the person than gets the
orders ready for shipping.  He said they still have >150 machines.  I saw
at least 40 sitting in the warehouse and he said the warehouse down the
street had a whole lot more.  They may only have about 30 OD only machines.
But they still have lots of machines in various configurations.

2. I received mail asking the condition of the machine I picked up.

  Condition is as foillows:  The first cube I picked up had a dead DSP
  it seems that the person that pulled my order did not look at a tech.
  report that was taped to the box.  It stated that the OD was flakey and
  DSP were dead.  I took it back, they had the right machine waiting.
  --- Moral: Check your machine very carefully. Immediately!!!!!!!!!

  Now the machine I have is in perfect condition.  The monitor has no
  images buned on it, keyboard is a little dusty but perfect, so is the
  mouse.  The cube has 1 scratch on it (big deal).  It is a NEW style cube
  with the new face plate and drive bays.  The OD reads fine but is a
  little noisey.  I've heard that is normal.   Overall the machine is in
  excelent condition.  I think I would have had to buy something right out
  of the box to get anything better.

  The OS was ver 1.0a and was complete including the Frame demo.

BTW: The manager I talked to said the people that ordered early WILL get
     the best machines, even if they have to take a swap/hard drive out
     to get the best.   I think this is true.  Mine had somekind of
     swap/hard drive in it before.  I know this because it still had the
     NeXT SCSI ribbon cable with terminating resistors still in the cube.
     Now I don't have to buy one.  8-)

     Only problem is I need to set up an entry in the /etc/disktab file.
     I think I can handle that.

                   KeNT - NeXT owner, I'm hyped!!!!!!!!!
--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */