[comp.sys.next] Remapping | and \ on NextStations

Larry_Jacobs@TRANSARC.COM (02/12/91)

From: scott@erick.gac.edu (Scott Hess)
Subject: Remapping | and \ on NextStations
Date: 9 Feb 91 20:25:26 GMT

-->Another problem I've noted is that the Control-\ (where \ is out there
-->on the keypad above /) doesn't work - it simply returns \.  I've done
-->some testing, and it appears that this is for real - Stuart isn't doing
-->it.  (The Workspace Shell doesn't see ctrl-\, either.)  So, I'm going
-->to hardwire it into Stuart in the future, more than likely.  If there's
-->anything else like this that people've been seeing, drop me a line,
-->please.

I think there is an easier way:

One can map "1C" (the hex value of ctrl-\) to ctrl-\, ctrl-/ or any
other key they so desire using the /NextDeveloper/Demos/Keyboard application.

As with other keymappings, the resulting keymapping file must be saved and
selected as your preferred keyboard.

-Larry Jacobs

scott@erick.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (02/12/91)

In article <Abhi9aH0BwwtApBVMa@transarc.com> Larry_Jacobs@TRANSARC.COM writes:
   One can map "1C" (the hex value of ctrl-\) to ctrl-\, ctrl-/ or any
   other key they so desire using the /NextDeveloper/Demos/Keyboard application.

The problem with the workaround you mention are many, and subtle.  Since
posting my original, I've found out that the ctrl-\ problems are
actually a bug somewhere in NeXT's keyboard definitions.  This means that
the problem might go away on it's own in the future . . .

Anyhow, when a user first sits down, and needs to type ctrl-\, the most
obvious thing to do is to type ctrl-\.  When that doesn't work, the user
is at a loss.  Since Stuart (or Terminal) are the only programs I forsee
ctrl-\ going to (not exactly an of-used character), this means that the
user won't know who's problem it is.  The most obvious solution isn't
to define a new keymapping :-).  So, I'll get bug reports (I have already)
telling me that it doesn't work.

Sigh.  Since it's only a two-line fix, I'll fix it in Stuart.  This won't
cause problems with any other keymappings you might choose to use, yet
will make the bug essentially non-existant for most users.  Which is how
it should be.

BTW:  I remember on old PC keyboard (it might still be there, I don't
know nor care) that you could use an Alternate sequence combined with
keypad keys to send a specific decimal keycode.  Is there anything
similar on the NeXT?  I know that they're all availiable there, but
sometimes I don't like to count on my fingers to figure out which
ctrl-key will give me 0x1B, for instance . . .

--
scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	GAC Undergrad