[comp.sys.next] Fonts ?

flog@bernina.ethz.ch (Florian Gutzwiller) (02/08/91)

What is the font situation on the NeXT's ?

- Can fonts from Macs or PC's be converted ?
- Where can I buy new fonts for NeXT ?
- Are they as expensive as those for Macs ?

excuse my ingnorance.

-Florian

mikec@epsl.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) (02/12/91)

In article <419@heaven.woodside.ca.us> glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) writes:
>In article <1991Feb8.153438.446@bernina.ethz.ch> flog@bernina.ethz.ch (Florian Gutzwiller) writes:
>>What is the font situation on the NeXT's ?
>>
>>- Can fonts from Macs or PC's be converted ?
>
>Yes, but not trivially.  I am also not sure of the licensing issues.

thanks to mfrc (from sonata.cc.purdue.edu) and a mac ftp server here at UofMd
that will preserve MacBinary file formats, I have been able to transfer ALL
my Mac fonts to my NeXT. For those of you who remember my ludicrous method from
a month or two back, I seek absolution!

Before I even purchased a NeXT, I sought out the advice of the sages at Adobe.
I was told by the person on the phone that as long as I didn't violate the
one-copy/one-machine rule, Adobe has no problems with it. In fact, they
wanted a copy of the program that did the conversion.

Again, I questioned the authors of mfrc when I first tried it. Now, I praise
them. I hope they read this.

MikeC

Michael D. Callaghan, MDC Designs, University of Maryland
mikec@wam.umd.edu