[comp.sys.next] Turning the speaker OFF from the NeXT

rajkumar@plains.NoDak.edu (A. Joseph Rajkumar) (02/08/91)

Hi
  I am using the NeXT 2.0, a mac-modem cable, a 2400-baud
hayes compatible modem to dial out to school. Could some
body please tell me how I can turn he speaker OFF. I could
do it on my PC by issuing the ATM0, to do that, but I
am unable to figure out how to do it with kermit-5A.

Thanks
Joseph Rajkumar

ty@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Tyng-Jing Yang) (02/08/91)

>  I am using the NeXT 2.0, a mac-modem cable, a 2400-baud
>hayes compatible modem to dial out to school. Could some
>body please tell me how I can turn he speaker OFF. I could
>do it on my PC by issuing the ATM0, to do that, but I
>am unable to figure out how to do it with kermit-5A.

Please see following script.

Jing
> kermit
C-Kermit 5A(165) ALPHA, 20 Jan 91, NeXT Mach 1.0 <- ye, still 1.0
Type ? or 'help' for help
NeXT_Kermit>take dcis
NeXT_Kermit>connect
Connecting to /dev/cua, speed 2400.
The escape character is CTRL-\ (ASCII 28).
Type the escape character followed by C to get back,
or followed by ? to see other options.
at
OK
atm0
OK
atdt 20905
CONNECT 2400
-dcis------------
set modem hayes
set line /dev/cua
set baud 2400
set file type binary

drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) (02/10/91)

rajkumar@plains.NoDak.edu (A. Joseph Rajkumar) writes:

>   I am using the NeXT 2.0, a mac-modem cable, a 2400-baud
> hayes compatible modem to dial out to school. Could some
> body please tell me how I can turn he speaker OFF. I could
> do it on my PC by issuing the ATM0, to do that, but I
> am unable to figure out how to do it with kermit-5A.

Try using cu on the command line, like this

   cu -t -l /dev/cua (assuming you're using serial port a)

This should get you a connect message. Now you're connected to the modem
directly. You can use any of the Hayes AT commands that your modem
supports with no problem. Hopefully you've got NVRAM so you can AT&W to
store your new speaker params...

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (02/12/91)

In article <DsB5w4w163w@ersys.uucp> ersys!drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) writes:
>rajkumar@plains.NoDak.edu (A. Joseph Rajkumar) writes:
>
>>   I am using the NeXT 2.0, a mac-modem cable, a 2400-baud
>> hayes compatible modem to dial out to school. Could some
>> body please tell me how I can turn he speaker OFF. I could
>> do it on my PC by issuing the ATM0, to do that, but I
>> am unable to figure out how to do it with kermit-5A.

Once you are in kermit and you set the parameters

C-kermit>set modem hayes
C-kermit>set line /dev/cua (or /dev/cub)
C-kermit>set speed 2400

You just type:
C-kermit>connect

then you find yourself connected to the modem

at
OK
atm0
OK
at&w
OK

Then you get back by typing Ctrl-\ c
Now you'r back in the command mode of kermit.
Alternatively you can issue any command when you are connected to a
remote machine by typing

+++

Then wait a second

OK
atm0
OK
at&w
OK
ato

Then you are connected again.

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."   G.B. Shaw   |  rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet