[net.auto] Car Ads from NJ

mmm@weitek.UUCP (Mark Thorson) (12/01/85)

Some weeks ago I voiced a contrary opinion to those who flamed net-wide
car ads.  A follow-up criticized my position for defending those car ads
from New Jersey.

Do you know how when you own an oddball car you tend to notice every one
of them you see?  Well I've been noticing NJ car ads and this is ridiculous.
The volume is so large, I tend to think it is some kind of inside joke.
Do these cars really exist?  Has anyone (outside of ATT) ever seen/bought one?

Do you want these things off the net?  If the cars really exist, call up the
NJ police and report them stolen.  That should make it interesting to sell.

Mark Thorson   (...!cae780!weitek!mmm)

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (12/02/85)

In article <330@weitek.UUCP> mmm@weitek.UUCP (Mark Thorson) writes:
>... [flame about car ads from NJ appearing on USENET]
>
>Do you want these things off the net?  If the cars really exist, call up the
>NJ police and report them stolen.  That should make it interesting to sell.

What you are advocating here is a CRIMINAL ACT.  It's called "falsely reporting
an incident", and carries substantial criminal penalties (in addition to the
possibility of a civil suit.)

There is still a gray area concerning the liability of bulletin-board systems
for postings advocating illegal acts - cf. the Tcimipides (sp?) case.  I would
hate to see USENET held responsible if someone were foolish enough to follow
through with your suggestion!

AWR