[comp.sys.next] Downloading Postscript fonts to a printer?

jiro@shaman.uucp (Jiro Nakamura) (02/07/91)

Does anyone know how to download Postcript fonts from the NeXT to a printer?
I have a PostScript printer (Canon LBP-8) hooked up to my NeXT via the
serial port, but I haven't had much success in downloading fonts.
  Is there a special procedure one must do? I did the obvious thing
of just cat-ing the font to the printer directly (cat font.ps > /dev/ttyb)
but that didn't do much, the printer munched on it and promptly forgot
about the font when I tried to print something.
  Any clues anyone?

  - jiro nakamura
  shaman!jiro@uunet.uu.net
--
Jiro Nakamura				uunet!shaman!jiro
Shaman Consulting			(607) 253-0687 VOICE

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb6.162711.1014@shaman.uucp> jiro@shaman.uucp (Jiro Nakamura) writes:
>Does anyone know how to download Postcript fonts from the NeXT to a printer?
>I have a PostScript printer (Canon LBP-8) hooked up to my NeXT via the
>serial port, but I haven't had much success in downloading fonts.
>  Is there a special procedure one must do? I did the obvious thing
>of just cat-ing the font to the printer directly (cat font.ps > /dev/ttyb)
>but that didn't do much, the printer munched on it and promptly forgot
>about the font when I tried to print something.

You need to precede the font by a short bit of PostScript that will
cause the font to stay downloaded until you power it off.  Below is the
canonical form of that bit of PostScript, although I don't know
anything about the Canon LBP-8 (is it Adobe PostScript?):

%!
serverdict begin 0 exitserver

%!PS-AdobeFont-2.0
% font goes here

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		NeXT/PostScript developers

In article <417@heaven.woodside.ca.us>
	glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) writes:
>In article <1991Feb6.162711.1014@shaman.uucp> jiro@shaman.uucp
	(Jiro Nakamura) writes:
>>Does anyone know how to download Postcript fonts from the NeXT to a printer?

>%!
>serverdict begin 0 exitserver

Gee, Mr. PostScript, shouldn't that be

   %!PS-Adobe-2.0 ExitServer
   %%EndComments
   %%BeginExitServer: 0
   serverdict begin 0 exitserver
   %%EndExitServer
   %%EOF

?  :-)

Um, why has no one mentioned the "fontloader" utility described
on pp. 180-181 of Network and System Administration?

					-=EPS=-

mikec@vs04wor.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) (02/12/91)

>Um, why has no one mentioned the "fontloader" utility described
>on pp. 180-181 of Network and System Administration?
>					-=EPS=-

Now that you mention it, I tried using fontloader to my HP LJ3 PS, and
the file I sent printed in Courier anyway!

Anyone else had similar problems?

MikeC

Michael D. Callaghan, MDC Designs, University of Maryland
mikec@wam.umd.edu