[comp.sys.next] Swap space with extra memory

tgingric@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Tyler S Gingrich) (02/12/91)

I would like to expand the memory on my slab to 20Mb.  I realize that 2times
your main memory is a good 'rule-of-thumb' for swap space, but I don't have
the free disk space for this.

  Q1) Does SR2.0 automatically grab 2xMainMemory for swap when the system
      boots??

  Q2) If not, how do you control the standard swap space amount.

  Q3) Would it be 'BAD' to have 20Mb of MainMemory and a 20Mb swap space??

  Q4) How do you force the system to give up swap space? (mine came with
      16Mb swap & now my swap is at 20Mb) -- I thought the swap would be
      minimized when you powered-off/powered-on, but it doesn't seem to work
      this way.

Tyler

Joe.Keenan@p1.f401.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Keenan) (02/13/91)

On Feb 12, at 15:51, Tyler S Gingrich (1:109/40) wrote:

 TSG> I would like to expand the memory on my slab to 20Mb.  I realize that
 TSG> 2times your main memory is a good 'rule-of-thumb' for swap space, but I
 TSG> don't have the free disk space for this.

 TSG>  Q1) Does SR2.0 automatically grab 2xMainMemory for swap when the system
 TSG>      boots??

        No.

 TSG>  Q2) If not, how do you control the standard swap space amount.

        It's in the /etc/rc script, where it does the mach_swapon command.

 TSG>  Q3) Would it be 'BAD' to have 20Mb of MainMemory and a 20Mb swap
 TSG>space??

        No - the swap space will grow as needed.

 TSG>  Q4) How do you force the system to give up swap space? (mine came with
 TSG>      16Mb swap & now my swap is at 20Mb) -- I thought the swap would be
 TSG>      minimized when you powered-off/powered-on, but it doesn't seem to
 TSG>      work this way.

        See answer to Q2.  At startup, the system deletes the old swap file and
creates a new one.  Check the script itself.

--

        Joe Keenan, Joe.Keenan@p1.f401.n109.z1.fidonet.org
      via The Black Cat's Shack's FidoNet<->Usenet Gateway