[net.auto] F.O.R.D Ford Owners Rotton Design

4373jml@homxb.UUCP (J.LISS) (11/27/85)

My wife just got new company car an 86 ford tempo.  This is list of both
positive and negative features.

positive
________

1) company ordered car with air bag
2) car has 4 doors
3) car has seat belts
4) car has mirrors and seats

negative
________

1) wife is 5' 4" 100lbs, i am 6' 1" 220 lbs, neither of us can find a
   comfortable driving position.  i have more room in my vw, her head
   hits roof when she moves seat up.
2) horn is on stalk, not on wheel, a real safety feature.
3) wiper control is on dash, not on stalk, gotta reach far just to make
   one swip of wipers.
4) got to push button after turning of engine to remove key.
5) front doors can be opened, even if lock is closed, from inside just
   by pulling on handle, great safety feature when moving.
6) can't see heating and airconditioning control labels from drivers seat
   especially at night
7) doors don't have rain gutters, great in bad whether.  its nice to get wet.
8) gas cover release and trunk release in glove box near eachother.  have
   gotten two confused already.
9) can't reach glove box from drivers seat with seat belt on.
10) glove box is deep, but key mechanism is in middle.  if you put anything
    big in it like owners manual, box won't lock.
11) glove box needs to be slammed few time to engage lock.
12) can't see instruments through steering wheel.
13) no temperature guage (great on front wheel drive cars with electric
    fan)  can't find temp warning light yet.
14) still haven't figured out how to open hood.
15) transmission can't make up its mind between 2 and 3 at around 35-40 mph.
    dealer says this is the way its supposed to be.

I guess I really shouldn't complain since we didn't have to pay for this
hunk of ....  But I really think its a shame (sham ?!?) how FORD can build
such crap.  All I know is that my wife wishes she still had her company
1982 4 door chevy citation, rattles, oil leak and all.

don't direct flames to me, send them to FORD.

dcm@busch.UUCP (Craig Miller) (11/29/85)

In article <946@homxb.UUCP> 4373jml@homxb.UUCP (J.LISS) writes:

>My wife just got new company car an 86 ford tempo.  This is list of both
>positive and negative features.

	I've got an 84 Ford Mustang GT350.

>8) gas cover release and trunk release in glove box near eachother.  have
>   gotten two confused already.
>9) can't reach glove box from drivers seat with seat belt on.
>10) glove box is deep, but key mechanism is in middle.  if you put anything
>    big in it like owners manual, box won't lock.
>11) glove box needs to be slammed few time to engage lock.

	Most of the negative stuff he listed *isn't* on my Mustang, except
	for the glove box stuff.  The glove box seems utterly useless and
	has both the hatchback and gas cover releases in it.  Here's the
	bad part:  What happens when the fuse that the gas cover release
	goes through blows?  About a week ago that fuse blew on me.  It's
	also the fuse that the overhead (dome?) light and the map light go
	through, so I knew that a fuse blew.  What I failed to realize is
	that the gas cover release goes through it too (I found out about
	5:30am a few days ago when I pulled into a gas station!).  But, the
	only thing that saved me (after reading the manual word by word for
	a while) was that there was an emergency release for it hidden near
	the spare tire.  Whew!

	Anyway, for those of you who have these 'convenient' gas cover
	releases, be *sure* to check your manual and see if you have a manual
	release.  At least be sure to check the fuse diagram and make sure
	you have some extra fuses laying around just in case that one blows.
	Maybe a good rule of thumb is to always have extra fuses anyway.  I
	always wanted to do this, but haven't had the chance to go out and
	get all of them yet (or I keep forgetting, etc.).  It could save some
	grief and frustration...

>14) still haven't figured out how to open hood.

	My hood release is directly below the steering wheel, and is marked
	'hood release'.  Don't know if this will help, but if you haven't
	looked there yet . . .

	Good luck!  You may need it.

			Craig

p.s.	in all fairness to Ford, this is the first real frustrating thing
	that's happened to me since I've had the car (I bought it about
	13 months ago and already have 29.5K miles on it).  It's a pretty
	nice car (kinda fast, too).  I really can't blame my fiasco on
	Ford, since I should have read the manual a bit closer when I first
	got it.  But, alas, laziness set in once again...
--
	Craig Miller
	UUCP: ..!ihnp4!we53!busch!dcm

- Since I'm a consultant here and not an Anheuser-Busch employee, my
  views (or lack of) are strictly my own.

jss@ihu1e.UUCP (Smith) (12/02/85)

I have a 84 tempo, somt thing seem to have changed since then but here is
my 2 cents:
> My wife just got new company car an 86 ford tempo.  This is list of both
> positive and negative features.
> negative
> 1) wife is 5' 4" 100lbs, i am 6' 1" 220 lbs, neither of us can find a
>    comfortable driving position.  i have more room in my vw, her head
>    hits roof when she moves seat up.

I am 6'6" and fit just fine.  One of the reasons I got this car is that it
was one of the few small/mid-size cars that I fit in well.

> 2) horn is on stalk, not on wheel, a real safety feature.

That is because they hide the air bag in the wheel.  (mine does not that an
air bag so it has the horn in both places.)

A couple more complaints.
1) the lights are on a togle switch near the drivers left knee.  I have
	turned  the lights on (and not noticed) several times when getting
	out of the car.
2) the car idles very fast when it is in park.
3) the speedometer posts before the end of the dial (85mph) (but don't tell
	anyone I told you :-)

--
J. S. Smith AT&T IW
	There are lots of opinions around this place, but these