[comp.sys.next] Another vote for FINANCING

cs00bd@unccvax.uncc.edu (brian daniels) (02/13/91)

Thanks to everyone who answered my postings about the Next,
and about B-Lands fire sale.

Unfortunately, I won't be getting one as the local banks are very
shy of loaning anything to a college student.

Thus, no cube.  No station either.

If I wanted an IBM I could finance it.
If I wanted an Apple I could finance it.
Both have easy financing programs for students with reasonable interest
rates.

I want a NeXT--the computer designed for and by universities.
I can't finance it.
Oh well.

NeXT, are you listening?  I'm a student.  (Remember, the ones you designed
the computer for)  I love your machine.  But unless some sort of
student financing is created, I can't get one.

Thanks,
Brian

Reality is what YOU make of it.    Brian Daniels  (cs00bd@unccvax.uncc.edu)
"My opinions are mine and do not represent those of my host computer"

osborn@cs.utexas.edu (John Howard Osborn) (02/14/91)

In article <3182@unccvax.uncc.edu> cs00bd@unccvax.uncc.edu (brian daniels) writes:
>If I wanted an IBM I could finance it.
>If I wanted an Apple I could finance it.
>Both have easy financing programs for students with reasonable interest
>rates.
>I want a NeXT--the computer designed for and by universities.
>I can't finance it.
>NeXT, are you listening?  I'm a student.  (Remember, the ones you designed
>the computer for)  I love your machine.  But unless some sort of
>student financing is created, I can't get one.
[above is edited]

People seem to be making an interesting assumption.  Specifically,
that NeXT is concerned with selling to students.  Certainly, the machine
makes a nice student computer, but I think that NeXT is far more worried
about selling to faculty and staff.

True, NeXT shouldn't get into the financial business.  But a program with
some well known credit organzation would be very useful.  (In other words,
the application, credit card, and other paperwork would have NeXT's name
on it, but MonolithicMegaCreditCorp would actually loan the money and
make the profit.

-
-John H. Osborn
-osborn@cs.utexas.edu