[comp.sys.next] Connecting a modem to Next running 2.0

gessel@masada.cs.swarthmore.edu (Daniel Mark Gessel) (01/21/91)

The old NeXT's used rs 422. Now they use rs 423. 423 is some where in
between 232 and 422 in terms of max cable length. I expect their
pinout is standard for 423.

I think they should have stuck with rs 422. No idea why they changed.

Dan

--
Daniel Mark Gessel                          Independent Software Consultant
Internet: gessel@cs.swarthmore.edu                   and Developer

datran2 (01/22/91)

In article <GESSEL.91Jan21104725@masada.cs.swarthmore.edu> gessel@masada.cs.swarthmore.edu (Daniel Mark Gessel) writes:
>The old NeXT's used rs 422. Now they use rs 423. 423 is some where in

Hardware flow control.  This is one of the two major improvements in
the new board IMHO.  My high speed modems are working much faster and
and more reliably now than with the old motherboard.

Steve.

--
 #====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#
 #  Steve Boker           #  "Badgers, we don't have no stinking badgers"   #

amarcum@next.com (Alan M. Marcum) (01/22/91)

madler@pooh.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) in <1991Jan19.224552.14895@nntp-server.caltech.edu>:
> Also, does anyone know if any Mac's?wire RTS and CTS like the 040 NeXT's.
> Maybe it's not so non-standard.

Last I checked (a few months ago) I found at least six different
"Mac-Modem" cables.  For example, I've seen different cables with one
(or more) of the following:

	Signal	DB-25	MiniDIN
	CTS	5	2
	DSR	6	2
	DTR	20	2
	DCD	8	2
	RTS	4	1

One cable had both DSR and DCD connected to MiniDIN Pin 2.

The specs for a modem cable on both 030 and 040 NeXT machines are to
have DCD, Pin 8 on the DB-25, connected to MiniDIN Pin 2.  In order
for /dev/cua (for example) to work, Pin 2 must see a signal which
reflects the presence or absence of a remote carrier.  Typically, this
will be DCD (assuming correct modem setup).

If you want hardware flow control, I doubt strongly whether you'll
find a Mac-Modem cable which meets NeXT's pin-out specifications.

All this is documented in the UNIX Manual Pages under zs [zs(4) for
the UNIX types], along with the interlocks between cuX (dial-out) and
ttydX (dial-in).  For now, yes, you'll either have to build your own
cable or have a custom cable vendor build it for you.  No, this is not
an ideal situation.

For those wondering, for those without UNIX manual pages available for
our system, here are the modem cable specs from the manual page.  Note
that the zs manual page included in the 2.0 version of the Network and
System Administration Manual is the 1.0, not the 2.0, manual page.
The cable spec in the manual page in the Admin Manual shows the
correct pin-outs for a 68030-based computer (with the caveat the
MiniDIN Pin 2 SHOULD be called DCD, not CTS).  Also, the modem cable
for a 68040-based computer is specified in Chapter 13, Attaching
Peripheral Devices.

	68030-to-modem (no flow control available)
	MiniDIN-8	DB-25
	1 DTR		20 DTR
	2 DCD		8 DCD
	3 TxD-		2 TxD
	4 GND		7 GND
	5 RxD-		3 RxD
	6 TxD+		-not connected-
	7 RTxC/+5V	-not connected-
	8 RxD+		7 GND

(Note that on the 68030-based machines, Port A's Pin 7 is RTxC while
Port B's Pin 7 is +5 volts.)

	68040-to-modem
	MiniDIN-8	DB-25
	1 DTR		20 DTR
	2 DCD		8 DCD
	3 TxD		2 TxD
	4 GND		7 GND
	5 RxD		3 RxD
	6 RTS		4 RTS
	7 RTxC		-not connected-
	8 CTS		7 CTS
--
Alan M. Marcum
NeXT Technical Support

anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (01/22/91)

In article <206@rosie.NeXT.COM> amm@NeXT.COM (Alan M. Marcum) writes:

[about modem connections for 1.0 and 2.0]

Seems like a time to acknowledge, after posting my lectures
on how to do business right :-), that NeXT people are putting
in some appearances here, and to express gratitude for it.
In addition, after I posted my question about nslookup, I
got email from two different NeXT employees pointing out
that it's included in 2.0 and that I had missed finding it
(in /usr/etc).  Since real problems merit public complaints,
it seems only fair that real solutions merit public thanks.

--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson

amm@NeXT.COM (Alan M. Marcum) (02/14/91)

In <206@rosie.NeXT.COM> I wrote:
> 	68040-to-modem
> 	MiniDIN-8	DB-25
> 	1 DTR		20 DTR
> 	2 DCD		8 DCD
> 	3 TxD		2 TxD
> 	4 GND		7 GND
> 	5 RxD		3 RxD
> 	6 RTS		4 RTS
> 	7 RTxC		-not connected-
> 	8 CTS		7 CTS

Oops, there's a typo in this.  Pin 8 on the MiniDIN side should NOT
be connected to Pin 7 on the DB-25 side.  It SHOULD be connected
to the CTS signal, which is Pin 5 on the DB-25.  So, the correct
spec is:

	68040-to-modem
	MiniDIN-8	DB-25
	1 DTR		20 DTR
	2 DCD		8 DCD
	3 TxD		2 TxD
	4 GND		7 GND
	5 RxD		3 RxD
	6 RTS		4 RTS
	7 RTxC		-not connected-
	8 CTS		5 CTS

Note that the on-line zs(4) man page is correct.
---
Alan M. Marcum
NeXT Technical Support
amm@NeXT.COM