[comp.sys.next] Cables for 040

lacour@austlcm.sps.mot.com (pat lacour/xdm6) (02/15/91)

>(Martin Weigele) writes:
>After eventually having reached the buy decision, I am now in the
>business of having to deal with silly cable standards of the new
>otherwise much more reasonable machines (i.e., non-standards).
>
>The name SCSI-2 to SCSI-1 doesn't mean much to most hardware shops.
>I was even told the name is ill-chosen, because these standards do not
>specify the connectors(?) or at least not the NeXt ones.
>The NeXT documentation gives the wiring but does not state which
>exactly are the norm names of the connectors, for making ones own cable.
>My dealer can't get any cables, apparently a widespread experience.
>
>Other manufacturers' names or connector specifications anyone?
>The easy one seems Centronics(?).
>
>A similar story are the serial connectors. Apparently Macintosh
>cables might work. Has anyone verified this? Even though one can sometimes
>get Mini-DIN-8 connectors, it would be nicer to have a manufactured
>cable because these tiny connectors make soldering unpleasant.
>
>Martin

I recently went through the pains of discovering some of the limitations
of using Macintosh cables with several Hayes-compatible modems. The net result
is that Macintosh cables will allow dial out on a 2.0 system but no hardware
flow control. Dial-in will not work with standard Macintosh cables! Andreas
Sautter of NeXT support gave me the following source for cables:

Quote"
here's the info. Be sure to mention your cpu type when you call
(040):

	Computer Cables and Devices
	57 Church Street
	Hamden, Connecticut 06514
	(203)287-0197
	FAX - Box Stop FAX: (203)287-1562 - (FAX charges will be
added to the order.)
"Unquote

NOTE: THIS COMPANY IS NOT ENDORSED BY NEXT, IT IS SIMPLY A SOURCE THEY
      ARE AWARE OF.

I have called about the modem cable (DIN-8 to RS423) and the person
answering the phone knew right away what I was talking about.
You could try CCD for the SCSI cables. I haven't asked so I don't know
if they have them.

Thank you Andreas for the support and info!

Pat LaCour e-mail pensoft!lacour!pat@cs.utexas.edu