[comp.sys.next] THE GRAY BOOK

reichard@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Kevin Reichard) (02/07/91)

eps@toaster.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>Last week's issue of _Bay Area Computer Currents_ had a review by
>Ken Milburn of a new book about designing without color.  The
>authors are some people from _Verbum_ magazine, and from the
>description, it sounds like it might be particularly useful to
>NeXT users.
>
>Gosney, Michael, John Odam, and Jim Schmal, _The Gray Book_,
>Ventana Press, P.O. Box 2468, Chapel Hill, NC  27515, $22.95.
>
>Has anyone seen it in bookstores?  Have it?  Read it?
>
>					-=EPS=-

I have it in front of me and would recommend it--if one is already a designer.
If not, I would suggest other rudimentary desktop-publishing books before this
one. And I don't know that the book would be particularly useful to Next
users--the appendices ignore the next in favor of PC, Amiga and Mac products
and procedures, and some of the advanced effects used heavily by the authors
are not available in the Next environment. Recommended reading for anyone
designing the ultimate Next design environment, though. :-)

--KR

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, crash}!orbit!pnet51!reichard
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!reichard@nosc.mil
INET: reichard@pnet51.orb.mn.org

brownd@agnes.acc.stolaf.edu (David H. Brown) (02/15/91)

In article <4029@orbit.cts.com> reichard@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Kevin Reichard) writes:
>[...]  and some of the advanced effects used heavily by the authors
>are not available in the Next environment. [...]
>--KR
>UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, crash}!orbit!pnet51!reichard
>ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!reichard@nosc.mil
>INET: reichard@pnet51.orb.mn.org

	Oh, come now! You can do anything you want in design on the NeXT...
you might have to do it in PostScript(tm), though!

Dave Brown
(brownd@thor.acc.stolaf.edu)