[comp.sys.next] Confidence? Me?

smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (Dr. William V. Smith) (02/15/91)

aberno@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Anthony Berno) writes:

>Well, here is another sorry chapter in the "Waiting for the NeXT" saga...
>but this one is a bit different.

>I ordered a 660 MB 030 cube + upgrade in December from the UBC
>bookstore. Well, it still isn't here. Now, I can understand delays in
>shipping the NextStations and the 040 upgrades, as there are only so
>many you can build in a day, beven if you have been blessed with the
>chips. However...

>My machine should have been made ages ago! In fact, the UBC bookstore
>has some machines (330 MB) *in stock*, but cannot sell them (not for
>C$13,000 anyway!) and has to return them to NeXT to be "repackaged".
>These machines have been sitting in the stockroom for MONTHS, while my
>desk sits empty.

This is typical of a quite a number of folks.  I understand that the
company is building NeXTstations as fast as they can and are still
only catching up very slowly with the backlog.  Orders seem to have
settled down to about 2500+ stations per month, but with initial
delays they are really having trouble keeping up at present.  The cube
situation is even worse in a sense because it has a much lower priority.
Inventory accounting is a real weak point partly on purpose, because
they just don't have the ability to deal with it right now in terms
of shipping.  Additional pressure to build color NeXTstations plus
problems with NeXTdimension have added to the problem, which won't go
away soon.  Nevertheless, they are putting out quite a few machines
every week.  It is always a good idea to keep in touch with people
at NeXT about your order.  There is the occasional screwup.
Generally they have been very responsive about such things.
-Bill
--
            __________________Prof. William V. Smith____________________
EMail:  smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu  or  uunet!hamblin.math.byu.edu!smithw

aberno@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Anthony Berno) (02/15/91)

Well, here is another sorry chapter in the "Waiting for the NeXT" saga...
but this one is a bit different.

I ordered a 660 MB 030 cube + upgrade in December from the UBC
bookstore. Well, it still isn't here. Now, I can understand delays in
shipping the NextStations and the 040 upgrades, as there are only so
many you can build in a day, beven if you have been blessed with the
chips. However...

My machine should have been made ages ago! In fact, the UBC bookstore
has some machines (330 MB) *in stock*, but cannot sell them (not for
C$13,000 anyway!) and has to return them to NeXT to be "repackaged".
These machines have been sitting in the stockroom for MONTHS, while my
desk sits empty.

If NeXT can't get a machine from Vancouver to their factory and back again,
with a new hard disk, in over two months, I really wonder what's going on.
I mean, the UBC bookstore hasn't even received the documents needed to send
these things back! I left the campus today with grave reservations
(for the first time, I might add) about NeXT's ability to cope in the
world. I mean, when Apple has to apologize profusely for a "large"
backlog of orders (2 weeks) on machines that are not even built, this is
making NeXT look pretty bad.

Are there any NeXT people out there? Tell me you aren't beating the
wolves from the door, and tell me where my computer is, please! I
have work to get done, and I'm getting desperate!

---
   Anthony Berno (aberno@questor.wimsey.bc.ca)
        The Questor Project: Free Public Access to Usenet News in
                             Vancouver, BC, Canada, at +1 604 681-0670