[comp.sys.next] file compressor

kwerle@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Werle) (02/11/91)

I'm looking for a file compressor for the next (2.0).  I grabbed a copy
of zoo, but it munges the dates (at least).  Has anyone ported zoo, or
lharc, or is there some other compressor out there that is worthwhile?
Thanks in advance,
Kurt

kwerle@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Werle) (02/12/91)

In article <27B5D1B2.7226@ics.uci.edu> kwerle@ics.uci.edu (Werle) writes:
>I'm looking for a file compressor for the next (2.0).  I grabbed a copy
>of zoo, but it munges the dates (at least).  Has anyone ported zoo, or
>lharc, or is there some other compressor out there that is worthwhile?

Thanks to all the people who said 'File compressor?  Use compress!'
I knew about compress already, but I'm used to doing the 'gather and squeeze'
thing all at once.  I also figured that zoo would do a better job.  Boy
was I wrong!  I got a copy of lharc (which always performed better on my
PC than zoo) and did a comparison.  I had no idea compress does such a good
job.

Now as soon as I get a big HD I'll build a pretty front-end thingy for zoo
and compress using this IB thing I hear spoken of so glowingly, if it hasn't
been done already...
Kurt

paul@aqua.ccit.arizona.edu (Paul Sanchez) (02/12/91)

What's wrong with the UNIX "ar" archiver?  You can compress the
individual files, and then archive them with ar.  Is this program not
available on the NeXT???

In article <11FEB91204839@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu>
	zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu writes:
>Has anyone ported the PC archiver "ZIP" to the UNIX domain?

There's an UNZIP for UNIX on WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL
in PD1:<MISC.UNIX>UNZIP401.TAR-Z

>     Compress does do a great job but I don't like the idea of
>TAR -> COMPRESS.  You have to uncompress to look at the tar file contents.

So?  What's the problem?  (Unless you only have 8MB RAM, ha ha,
in which case it's gonna be S-L-O-W.)

>With something like ZIP, ARC, ZOO ...  you can list the files without
>uncompressing them *AND* extract only the file(s) you want...

tar also lets you extract only the files you want.  If the gripe
is just that you're LAZY (or have one of the new "improved"
keyboards with the `|' off in never-never land, save the
following as the file "list" (preferably somewhere found in your
PATH) and do a
  chmod a+x list
Then you can say "list whatever" and it will attempt to do
something appropriate.

#!/bin/csh -f
set noglob
if ($#argv < 1) then
  echo Usage: $0 archive ...
  exit 1
endif
foreach a ($*)
  if ($#argv > 1) then
    echo ${a}:
  endif
  if (-d $a) then
    (cd $a && exec ls -l)
  else
    switch ($a)
    case *.a:
      ar tv $a
      breaksw
    case *.arc:
      arc v $a
      breaksw
    case *.tar.Z:
      if (-r $a) then
        zcat $a | tar tvf -
      else
        zcat $a >/dev/null
      endif
      breaksw
    case *.tar:
      tar tvf $a
      breaksw
    case *.zip:
      unzip -v $a
      breaksw
    case *.zoo:
      zoo -list $a
      breaksw
    default:
      if (-r $a) then
        echo unknown archive format
      else
        cat $a >/dev/null
      endif
      breaksw
    endsw
  endif
end

Oh, by the way, :-) :-) :-)

					-=EPS=-

madler@pooh.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (02/12/91)

Ralph Zazula wonders:
>> Has anyone ported the PC archiver "ZIP" to the UNIX domain?

Yes.  Me and some other folks have been working on it and we should
have Zip 1.0 out Real Soon Now.  Unzip is already available.  You
can contact me for details.  Zip has better compression than compress
or zoo.

Mark Adler
madler@pooh.caltech.edu

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (02/12/91)

/ comp.sys.next / zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu (RALPH ZAZULA) / Feb 11'91/
> Has anyone ported the PC archiver "ZIP" to the UNIX domain?  It is
> so very nice to do archiving rather than compressing.  That is,
> create a file that you can get the contents of without uncompressing
> it.  Compress does do a great job but I don't like the idea of
> TAR -> COMPRESS.  You have to uncompress to look at the tar file contents.

No, you don't:

	zcat directory.tar.Z | tar tvf -

> With something like ZIP, ARC, ZOO ...  you can list the files without
> uncompressing them *AND* extract only the file(s) you want...

You can extract only the files you want with tar too:

	zcat directory.tar.Z | tar xpvf - file-path-1 file-path-2 ...

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (02/12/91)

GNU tar will compress your your tar file as it creates it.

tar cfz archive dir-name

I had a few problems compiling version 1.09, so I'm still using 1.08.

It will also uncompress a .tar.Z file, so you don't have to type all
of this.

   zcat archive | tar xf -

Instead, type tar xfz archive.  Include any other tar switches that
you would normally use.

-Mike

ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu (Doug DeJulio) (02/12/91)

In article <11FEB91204839@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu> zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu writes:
> It is so very nice to do archiving rather than compressing.  That is,
> create a file that you can get the contents of without uncompressing
> it.  Compress does do a great job but I don't like the idea of TAR ->
> COMPRESS.  You have to uncompress to look at the tar file contents.
> With something like ZIP, ARC, ZOO ...  you can list the files without
> uncompressing them *AND* extract only the file(s) you want...

Use gnu tar.  It has an additional option, 'z', which means to use
compress.  So, to create a compressed tar file, all you need to do is
"gtar zcf tarfile.tar.Z contents".  To extract it, do "gtar zxf
tarfile.tar.Z", and to list it do "gtar ztf tarfile.tar.Z".

It also has nifty features like multivolume tar archives, and it will
work with network tape drives if they work with rdump.
(eg. "tar cf foo.cmu.edu:/dev/nrst8 contents")

It's available via anonymous FTP from prep.ai.mit.edu.
--
Doug DeJulio
ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu

zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu (RALPH ZAZULA) (02/13/91)

In article <130160@gore.com>, jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) writes...
[my text deleted...]
>> TAR -> COMPRESS.  You have to uncompress to look at the tar file contents.
>
>No, you don't:
>
>	zcat directory.tar.Z | tar tvf -

My understanding is that ZCAT is the same as UNCOMPRESS.  That was
my original comment: you have to UNCOMPRESS the TAR->COMPRESS file
to get an index of the TAR file.

>> With something like ZIP, ARC, ZOO ...  you can list the files without
>> uncompressing them *AND* extract only the file(s) you want...
>
>You can extract only the files you want with tar too:
>
>	zcat directory.tar.Z | tar xpvf - file-path-1 file-path-2 ...

You are right...  I wasn't aware that TAR would let you select the
files you wanted...

>Jacob
>--
>Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

Thanks!
   | Ralph Zazula                               "Computer Addict!"        |
   | University of Arizona                 ---  Department of Physics     |
   |   UAZHEP::ZAZULA                            (DecNet/HEPNet)          |
   |   zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu         (Internet)               |
   |   "You can twist perceptions, reality won't budge."  - Neil Peart    |

dlw@Atherton.COM (David Williams) (02/13/91)

Given the answer on what compression tool to use on a NeXT. How
about another idea!

On the Mac these days third parties are starting to sell Nubus based
compression boards that work in conjunction with stuffit & DiskDoubler.
Essentially they are supposed to give a nice performance boost to doing
this kind of activity.

How about using the DSP to process the compression/uncompression of files?
Just as these compression boards on the Mac do?

Might that not give us the ol' performance boost as the DSP is a fast little
puppy?

I await comments from the toaster man & company....

-==David==-
dlw@atherton.com

zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu (RALPH ZAZULA) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb12.061002.16067@nntp-server.caltech.edu>, you write...

>Ralph Zazula wonders:
>>> Has anyone ported the PC archiver "ZIP" to the UNIX domain?
>
>Yes.  Me and some other folks have been working on it and we should
>have Zip 1.0 out Real Soon Now.  Unzip is already available.  You
>can contact me for details.  Zip has better compression than compress
>or zoo.

I tried to send this directly 3 times, once via NEWS and it puked...

Mark,

I'm glad to hear that ZIP is making it to UNIX.  It is by far the
best file compressor/archiver I have used.

The only feature I think it is lacking is the abliltiy to limit
the size of the .ZIP file and create multiple files of that limited
size when archiving large quanitities of data (as I'm doing now when
backing up my PC hard disk so I can sell it when my NeXT cube arrives).

Do you know where I can get the latest copies of ZIP/UNZIP via FTP?

>Mark Adler
>madler@pooh.caltech.edu

Thanks,
Ralph

   | Ralph Zazula                               "Computer Addict!"        |
   | University of Arizona                 ---  Department of Physics     |
   |   UAZHEP::ZAZULA                            (DecNet/HEPNet)          |
   |   zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu         (Internet)               |
   |   "You can twist perceptions, reality won't budge."  - Neil Peart    |

madler@pooh.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (02/16/91)

Ralph Zazula tries to reach me ...

The address "madler@pooh.caltech.edu" ought to work from where you are.

>> Do you know where I can get the latest copies of ZIP/UNZIP via FTP?

You can get unzip via anonymous ftp from simtel20.army.mil in the
directory pd1:<misc.unix> as unzip403.tar-z (which you would rename
to unzip403.tar.Z).

Zip is not public yet--still in beta test.  I'll let this group know
when it will be available.  Currently, it is in an advanced stage of
development (version 0.7) which works on a wide range of Unix machines
and does shrink and implode.  However, MSDOS and VMS operation is still
being worked on, and implode is much too slow as it stands, but new
algorithms promise to improve that greatly.  I can't really give an
ETA right now, but if I had to guess, I'd say we ought to have 1.0 by
April.

>> The only feature I think it is lacking is the abliltiy to limit
>> the size of the .ZIP file and create multiple files of that limited
>> size when archiving large quanitities of data

I have already written a program called zipsplit that breaks a zip file
into the smallest number of zip files less than a specified size.  This
is a little more versatile than what you suggest, but has the limitation
that you need enough space to store the big zip file to be split (the
resulting zip files can be put on another device, like floppies).

Mark Adler
madler@pooh.caltech.edu