[comp.sys.next] HELP reading NeXT files from UNIX and X11

faustus@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (Kurt Ackermann) (02/15/91)

I am trying to read the on-line Shakespeare on our
NeXTs from my NCD Xterminal, and would like to see
the pretty fonts and formatting as it would appear
on the NeXT itself.

I can read it, but I am seeing all the formatting
instructions as well, rather than just the
formatted text.

Is there a way I can get all the pretty fonts too?

[BTW, my window manager is twm, and we are using
X11 r4, if that is relevant]

Thanks heaps!

Kurt Ackermann      |  Grey, dear friend, are all     |
                    |  of your theories; the golden   |

ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu (Doug DeJulio) (02/16/91)

In article <faustus.666631152@gargoyle.uchicago.edu>,
 faustus@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (Kurt Ackermann) writes:
>I am trying to read the on-line Shakespeare on our
>NeXTs from my NCD Xterminal, and would like to see
>the pretty fonts and formatting as it would appear
>on the NeXT itself.
[...]
>Is there a way I can get all the pretty fonts too?

Beleive it or not, yes!  Does your site have ATK?  A person on the
info-andrew list recently wrote an RTF->ATK translator.  Grab that and
run it, and the resulting document can be viewed on a machine with X
using EZ, the ATK editor.  I've seen it work on some of the NextStep
documentation.

For those who don't know what ATK is, it's a windowing system
independant multimedia user interface toolkit written in an object
oriented variant of C.  I think it comes for free on one of the X
tapes.  It's multimedia implementation is done somewhat better than
NeXT's in my opinion, but for some reason I can't fathom it doesn't
seem to have much popularity.
--
Doug DeJulio
ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu