[comp.sys.next] Printer help

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (02/06/91)

Hi.  It's me again :)   Anyways, since I got very little response on my first
post, I thought that I'd make a more pointed post.  What printer should I
use with my NeXT?  I am loathe to purchase a laser since I really cannot
afford it.  Is there any hope of using a dot matrix with it?  Graphics is
a must.  Has anybody been able to use a dot matrix or an ink jet with
the NeXT?  If I do decide to get a laser, would I be better off getting a
postscript printer instead of the NeXT laser (ie, so I can transport it to
a different machine)?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

			Thanks, Ralph

Ralph Seguin			gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu
536 South Forest Apt. #915	gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu
Ann Arbor, MI 48104		(313) 662-4805

zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu (RALPH ZAZULA) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb6.080032.18350@engin.umich.edu>, gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes...
>Hi.  It's me again :)   Anyways, since I got very little response on my first
>post, I thought that I'd make a more pointed post.  What printer should I
>use with my NeXT?  I am loathe to purchase a laser since I really cannot
>afford it.  Is there any hope of using a dot matrix with it?  Graphics is
>a must.  Has anybody been able to use a dot matrix or an ink jet with
>the NeXT?  If I do decide to get a laser, would I be better off getting a
>postscript printer instead of the NeXT laser (ie, so I can transport it to
>a different machine)?  Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
>			Thanks, Ralph
>
>Ralph Seguin			gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu
>536 South Forest Apt. #915	gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu
>Ann Arbor, MI 48104		(313) 662-4805

Hey, anyone out there????  I also would like to know if a dot-matrix
(ie. EPSON,PROPRINTER) can be hooked up to a NeXT.  I'm assuming you
would do this via one of the serial ports.  Ideally, one would want
a way to convert postscript to dot-matrix graphics.  But, being able
to print plain ASCII text (ie. source code, mail messages, etc.) would
be a good starting point.  Is it as simple as getting a serial-to-parallel
cable???

Please respond...
Ralph
   | Ralph Zazula                               "Computer Addict!"        |
   | University of Arizona                 ---  Department of Physics     |
   |   UAZHEP::ZAZULA                            (DecNet/HEPNet)          |
   |   zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu         (Internet)               |
   |   "You can twist perceptions, reality won't budge."  - Neil Peart    |

ne201ph@prism.gatech.EDU (Halvorson,Peter J) (02/07/91)

In article <6FEB91142917@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu> zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu writes:

>Hey, anyone out there????  I also would like to know if a dot-matrix
>(ie. EPSON,PROPRINTER) can be hooked up to a NeXT.

I haven't answered because I don't have a full answer.  There was a program
which would let an Apple Imagewriter ( or whatever they call their dot
matrix printer) be hooked up to the serial port of a 1.0 NeXT.  The
software was based on the NeXT laser printer software ( or maybe just
provided similar function), and converted postscript to a raster image
which was dumped to the printer.  That was the only printer that I've
heard of being supported this way.  There was also some clause in NeXT's
contract with Adobe which restricted them to low resolution printers
( except for the NeXTlaser).  The clause has been lifted for 2.0, the
software is writable, but no one has done a version supported a few
of the main dot matrix printers ( as far as I know).

You could also rig up a lpd filter which would route a plain ASCII file
out the serial port to a regular printer, but I haven't heard of anyone
doing this.

--
              Peter Halvorson   --    Nuclear Engineering Program
    uucp:    ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!ne201ph

osborn@cs.utexas.edu (John Howard Osborn) (02/07/91)

In article <6FEB91142917@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu> zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu writes:
>Hey, anyone out there????  I also would like to know if a dot-matrix
>(ie. EPSON,PROPRINTER) can be hooked up to a NeXT.  I'm assuming you
>would do this via one of the serial ports.  Ideally, one would want
>a way to convert postscript to dot-matrix graphics.  But, being able
>to print plain ASCII text (ie. source code, mail messages, etc.) would
>be a good starting point.  Is it as simple as getting a serial-to-parallel
>cable???

Your options are:

 - Buy a NeXT laserprinter.  (This best from a technical standpoint, but can
   be expensive.)

 - Use a serially connected postscript printer.  (This is the best option
   if you already own such a printer.)

 - Use a networked printer.  (2.0 has a nasty bug concerning this, consult
   your technical support person.)

 - Use a non-postscript serially connect printer and just do line printing.
   (No graphics.)

 - Get an Apple ImageWriter-II, connect it serially, and run iwf.  (iwf is
   a program that rasterizes the postscript, converts it to imagewriter
   commands, and sends it out the serial port.  This is cheap, but I don't
   know if iwf works under 2.0 (Anybody know?) and the print quality is
   so-so.

 - Wait for software to be announced that will let you connect an HP
   DeskJet-500 to your serial port and operate it as a postscript
   printer.  (Much like iwf drives an Imagewriter.)

-
-John H. Osborn
-osborn@cs.utexas.edu

alan@wor.umd.edu (Alan Joseph Schunemann) (02/07/91)

In article <17688@cs.utexas.edu> osborn@cs.utexas.edu (John Howard Osborn) writes:
>In article <6FEB91142917@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu> zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu writes:
>>Hey, anyone out there????  I also would like to know if a dot-matrix
>>(ie. EPSON,PROPRINTER) can be hooked up to a NeXT.  I'm assuming you
>>would do this via one of the serial ports.  Ideally, one would want
>>a way to convert postscript to dot-matrix graphics.  But, being able
>>to print plain ASCII text (ie. source code, mail messages, etc.) would
>>be a good starting point.  Is it as simple as getting a serial-to-parallel
>>cable???

Let me rephrase this. HOW do you set up the system to handle a serial printer
on a serial port? Just a "dumb" line printer. Thanks!
Alan
Alan Schunemann       Well, what shall we throw away this year?
alan@wam.umd.edu      -Andrew Carnegie

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (02/08/91)

In article <6FEB91142917@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu> zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu writes:
>Hey, anyone out there????  I also would like to know if a dot-matrix
>(ie. EPSON,PROPRINTER) can be hooked up to a NeXT.  I'm assuming you
>would do this via one of the serial ports.  Ideally, one would want

Yes you can connect one to a serial port.

>a way to convert postscript to dot-matrix graphics.  But, being able
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I know I do. I have a Panasonic KXP-1524 and I would like to use it on the
NeXTcube I'm about to buy.  I may write something, but it will only be
something to convert raster images (what goes to the NeXT printer) to
something my printer can handle.

I have a program that I got called Ghostscript that does postscript to
Epson, VGA, etc on a PC and it has portable code that is supposed to
compile under UN*X, VMS, etc.  I'm having some problems trying to compile
it under MS-DOS but I do have an executable for MS-DOS that sort of works.

>to print plain ASCII text (ie. source code, mail messages, etc.) would
>be a good starting point.  Is it as simple as getting a serial-to-parallel
>cable???

Well what you would need is a serial cable and a serial-parallel converter
to handle the data stream from the NeXT to the printer's parallel port.

Some printers have a serial option or have both serial and parallel
interfaces built in and selectable by dip switches (my KXP-1524 has both
serial and parallel).

--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */

rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb6.080032.18350@engin.umich.edu> gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
>Hi.  It's me again :)   Anyways, since I got very little response on my first
>post, I thought that I'd make a more pointed post.  What printer should I
>use with my NeXT?  I am loathe to purchase a laser since I really cannot
>afford it.  Is there any hope of using a dot matrix with it?  Graphics is
>a must.  Has anybody been able to use a dot matrix or an ink jet with
>the NeXT?

Eric Scott wrote a filter to drive an Image Writer.  I am converting it
to work on an Epson LQ-510.  So far I just have the text part working,
and it works great.  Since the LQ-510 has Times Roman and Sans Serif
(similar an maybe equal to Helvetica) and does proportional spacing,
saving Edit or WriteNow text in ascii allows it to be printed pretty
much the way it looks.  I do need to do something about <TAB> and I
don't know about underline, italics and bold, but straight text is
fine.

I did find the arguments you can send to the filter seem to be limited
to those the lpr command already uses.  I don't know if or why this is
true, but that is my experience so far.

Since I do not know postscript or the Image Writer, I have had trouble
understanding that phase of the program.  However, it appears to be
straightforward and I expect to be able to convert it.

I am told 1.0 is limited to 72 dpi.  However, 2.0 supposedly has much
higher limits, well beyond what I am likely to need.
--
Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA				  412-471-5320
...!uunet!pitt!investor!rbp			rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us

In article <1991Feb13.211037.25446@investor.pgh.pa.us>
	rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) writes:
>I am told 1.0 is limited to 72 dpi.

150.  On the ImageWriter II, I found that higher resolutions
contributed little to legibility (since the dots are so large),
and slowed things down considerably.  Unfortunately, I lost my
chance to play with an ImageWriter LQ--the person I knew who
had one traded it with someone who wanted a wide carriage
printer.  :-(  Anyway, a "typical" 72x120dpi printer isn't
going to violate the terms of your license agreement.

>                                     However, 2.0 supposedly has much
>higher limits, well beyond what I am likely to need.

900.

					-=EPS=-