[comp.sys.next] 2.0 Updates

lane@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Christopher Lane) (02/15/91)

I've FTP'd 2.0 versions of the following programs that were available under
1.0 (and before) to the 'submissions' directory of the cs.orst.edu archive:

	PrimeSpiral.tar.Z
	SoundAndLight.tar.Z
	Unknown.tar.Z
	background

It will probably take a day or so for them to replace the older versions in
the 'sources' directory.  Quick descriptions follow below.  I'm still working
on the 2.0 versions of MOTD and NLoad.

- Christopher

PrimeSpiral: The 1.0 version runs under 2.0 but the "Info..." panel doesn't
work so this recompile fixes that.  This is a simple 'demonstration'
application that runs 2X faster under 2.0 and another 3X faster on the '040.

SoundAndLight: An interfaces-less application that resets the values for
screen brightness and speaker volume to values set in the user defaults
database.  Corrects for a bug on the NeXT where you can select the settings
with Preferences but they don't get restored on subsequent logins.

Unknown: This application's existence in the search path causes icons to be
defined for file types that don't have them.  It also has the ability to map
Unix commands onto file types (e.g. *.Z files map to 'uncompress').

background: Since Eric Scott's "much improved replacement for Lane's shell
script posted here in March" never surfaced (did it?) here's a 2.0 compatible
version thanks to Gilles Detillieux <grdetil@larry.scrc.umanitoba.ca>.

-------

In article <MailManager.666548597.7590.lane@ssrg-next-1>
	lane@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Christopher Lane) writes:
>background: Since Eric Scott's "much improved replacement for Lane's shell
>script posted here in March" never surfaced (did it?)

As soon as I have a full 2.0 system up, goodies will follow.
Right now, I have one non-networked NeXTstation running the
2.0-Crippled release--I can type weird incantations at pft, but
not much more.  Real Soon Now, I hope.  (Too long a story to go
into right now.)

Hmm, when's that March anniversary coming up?  :-)

					-=EPS=-