[comp.sys.next] SPLIT group

Gerben.Wierda@samba.acs.unc.edu (Gerben Wierda) (02/14/91)

Yes! I propose also:
comp.sys.next.x		# this will return to the group, no doubt
comp.sys.next.wizards	# To help people with sysadm questions

and important:

comp.sys.next.flames	# some of them are really fun to read

and maybe even:

comp.sys.next.os2.question.mark.microsoft.funny.postings
			# especially for people at Microsoft

Flame-like questions:

Can anybody tell me:
	When was Microsoft founded anyway?
	What will be the future of OS/2 when even IBM is working with
	Novell? The last straw for OS/2 seemed to be Lan Manager to me.
	Now analyst say they predict 64% for Netware and 1.4% for
	Lan Manager (read it today in Computerworld (NL))
	And what is the future of AIX now that OSF has chosen MACH?

Gerben

PS: does anybody know a UUCP site in Arnhem, The Netherlands that could
play host for me and my upcoming NeXT?

Gerben.Wierda@samba.acs.unc.edu (Gerben Wierda) (02/15/91)

This is a serious posting (the previous one wasn't, really)

*If* we are going to split, then the names of the subgroups are very
impoortant. Take this: if a group is called comp.sys.next.tech or
comp.sys.next.discussion it is likely that I would not know where to
post most of the time. Therefore we should use names that are more
helpful in a split up that is more than only a volume split-up.

I therefore propose that the following subgroups:
comp.sys.next.develop		# for C, C++, IB, Objective-C
comp.sys.next.connectivity	# for TCP/IP, UUCP, Kermit, modems, etc.
comp.sys.next.maintenance	# for hardware/software upgrading,
				# system admin
comp.sys.next.applications	# for things like WriteNow, Improv and
				# other ready-to-use products

I assume that if (for instance) the people doing music applications and
development are creating too much noise for either the development or
application subgroup it is time to make subsubgroups like
comp.sys.next.application.music or ...develop.music

Oh, I forgot, because NeXT is a new machine it would be nice to have a
comp.sys.next.announce, but I don't know if there are any problems
(legally) with such a subgroup.

I hope this is a useful addendum, so that people are not going to flame
me for being the source of the problem (newsgroup becoming too big)...

Greetings to you all

Gerben

andrewd@cs.tamu.edu (Andrew Ted Duchowski) (02/16/91)

In article <2613@beguine.UUCP> Gerben.Wierda@samba.acs.unc.edu (Gerben Wierda) writes:

>[..]
>I therefore propose that the following subgroups:
>comp.sys.next.develop		# for C, C++, IB, Objective-C
>comp.sys.next.connectivity	# for TCP/IP, UUCP, Kermit, modems, etc.
>comp.sys.next.maintenance	# for hardware/software upgrading,
>				# system admin
>comp.sys.next.applications	# for things like WriteNow, Improv and
>				# other ready-to-use products

I've been following this thread, and I too wouldn't mind a split.
Being a sort of fairly-good-at-unix-but-new-to-NeXT person, I feel
that some of my questions were justifiable, but probably peeved
some of you next-gurus because of their apparent simplicity.

Anyway, my point is, if we're going to split, why not adhere to
a sort of NeXT'ish naming convention, ie.:

comp.sys.next.admin		# hardware/software upgrades, admin
comp.sys.next.apps		# WriteNow, Improv, etc.
comp.sys.next.developer		# C, C++, IB, Obj-C
comp.sys.next.net		# for connectivity
comp.sys.next.library		# whatever you guys think is appropriate.

Seems kind of logical (and "comfortable") to me.

>I assume that if (for instance) the people doing music applications and
>development are creating too much noise for either the development or
>application subgroup it is time to make subsubgroups like
>comp.sys.next.application.music or ...develop.music

I agree with this too, but would leave this for a later date, and
first start off with the above.

-Andrew
 andrewd@cs.tamu.edu

--

-------------- Not an Official Texas A&M University Document --------------

scott@erick.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (02/16/91)

I propose that we split the groups into:

comp.sys.next			All NeXT discussions
comp.sys.next.split.discussion	Discussions about splitting c.s.n

This would greatly reduce the volume of comp.sys.next.

:-)

Later,
--
scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	GAC Undergrad

In article <SCOTT.91Feb15170521@erick.gac.edu>
	 scott@erick.gac.edu (Scott Hess) writes:
>I propose that we split the groups into:
>
>comp.sys.next			All NeXT discussions
>comp.sys.next.split.discussion	Discussions about splitting c.s.n

This is the best suggestion I've seen yet.

(No, I'm not in favor of splitting the group.)

					-=EPS=-