[comp.sys.next] "blank" boot - help!

andrewd@cs.tamu.edu (Andrew Ted Duchowski) (02/16/91)

I must have done something rather silly.  I have two internal drives
in my cube, effectively 3 partitions: /dev/sd0a, /dev/sd1a, /dev/sd1b.
This is my last command sequence:

# shutdown now
# mount
  /dev/sd0a / ...
  /dev/sd1a /mnt ...
  /dev/sd1b /Users ...
# umount /dev/sd1a
# mv /mnt /sys
# mount /dev/sd1a /sys
# vi /etc/fstab /* to reflect changes */
# ^D

where /dev/sd1a contains most of my NeXT... stuff, ie. NeXTApps, NeXTAdmin
and so on.

Now when I boot all I get is the blank grey screen.  I set the verbose
boot flag through the monitor, so I see it booting ok.  Besides saying that
there is no network (standalone, so that checks), and that autonfsmount
didn't run (I guess it shouldn't, standalone), the boot seems ok.
But when it tries to go to multiuser, all I get is the blank screen. No
login window, no nothin.  Even the power key doesn't do anything.
My guess is that somehow I screwed up my /etc/fstab and now all my
NeXT stuff doesn't mount.  I could probably fix this if I knew how
to boot to singleuser.

1. Any ideas on what I may have done wrong?
2. How can I boot to single user mode so that I can implement changes/fixes?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew.
andrewd@cs.tamu.edu

--

-------------- Not an Official Texas A&M University Document --------------

andrewd@cs.tamu.edu (Andrew Ted Duchowski) (02/16/91)

In article <12255@helios.TAMU.EDU> I write:
>I must have done something rather silly.

I sure did.  I didn't adjust my soft pointers to reflect the new
mount point.

>2. How can I boot to single user mode so that I can implement changes/fixes?

b(0,0,0)-s from the monitor.

Sorry to have wasted bandwidth, I tried to cancell the article but was
too late.  Please disregard the previous post (<12255@helios.TAMU.EDU>).

-Andrew.

--

-------------- Not an Official Texas A&M University Document --------------

matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (02/16/91)

In article <12255@helios.TAMU.EDU> andrewd@cs.tamu.edu (Andrew Ted Duchowski) writes:
>I must have done something rather silly.  I have two internal drives
>in my cube, effectively 3 partitions: /dev/sd0a, /dev/sd1a, /dev/sd1b.
>This is my last command sequence:

... stuff deleted ...

>Now when I boot all I get is the blank grey screen.  I set the verbose
>boot flag through the monitor, so I see it booting ok.  Besides saying that
>there is no network (standalone, so that checks), and that autonfsmount
>didn't run (I guess it shouldn't, standalone), the boot seems ok.
>But when it tries to go to multiuser, all I get is the blank screen. No
>login window, no nothin.  Even the power key doesn't do anything.
>My guess is that somehow I screwed up my /etc/fstab and now all my
>NeXT stuff doesn't mount.  I could probably fix this if I knew how
>to boot to singleuser.
>
>1. Any ideas on what I may have done wrong?

/NextLibrary isn't there.  It has to be there.  Make a link to it in
single-user mode.

>2. How can I boot to single user mode so that I can implement changes/fixes?

In the ROM monitor, bsd -s.

>Thanks in advance,
>Andrew.
>andrewd@cs.tamu.edu

I did that, twice.  Once when I wasn't on the net so I couldn't remotely log
in to fix it -- that's when I discovered the blessing of singleuser boot. :-)

By the way, try to fix your message header, as it thinks a newsgroup to post
to is your mail address.  Or, actually, is that on my end I wonder?
------
Mike Matthews, matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu (NeXT)/matthews@umdd (bitnet)
------
	SCORPIO (Oct 23 - Nov 21)
You are shrewd in business and cannot be trusted.  You will achieve the
pinnacle of success because of your total lack of ethics.  Most Scorpio
people are murdered.