[comp.sys.next] Bulletin board software on the NeXT?

thomson@zazen.macc.wisc.edu (Don Thomson) (02/09/91)

I've got a client who is looking at possible hardware/software platforms to
run a bulletin board with TCP/IP connection capabilities.and the need for only
one or two dial-in lines.  It seems like the NeXT would be a good choice if the
software were there to support it.  What do folks know about the availability
of UNIX bulletin board software and how likely it would be to compile and run
on the NeXT?  Any general comments about the choice of this as a platform for
this puprpose would also be welcome.
--

----- Don Thomson ----- MACC, 1210 W. Dayton, Madison, WI  53706 -------------
    (608) 262-0138      thomson@macc.wisc.edu / thomson@wiscmacc.bitnet

briand@rfengr.com (Brian Dear) (02/12/91)

My company is currently porting its COCONET(R) software for UNIX bbs's to
the NeXT platform.  COCONET currently runs on 386/486 UNIX boxes.  We're
porting to NeXT and Mac now, and both will support online graphics.

Brian Dear           brian@coconut.com                Coconut Computing, Inc.

nerd@percy.rain.com (Michael Galassi) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb11.181641.28007@rfengr.com> brian@coconut.com writes:

>My company is currently porting its COCONET(R) software for UNIX bbs's to
>the NeXT platform.  COCONET currently runs on 386/486 UNIX boxes.  We're
>porting to NeXT and Mac now, and both will support online graphics.
>

>Brian Dear           brian@coconut.com                Coconut Computing, Inc.

A friend of mine, my brother, and I wrote a BBS system which runs on
SCO's 286 & 386 xenix, intel's xenix, MtXinu's bsd 4.3, AT&T svr4, bsd 2.9,
and others.  As soon as I get my cube back from BL I'll be porting it to
NextStep 2.0.  This is NOT a comercially supported product but it is free.
I'll post when I have it running, probably a week or two.

Side note to Brian, you have posted the same note to this group and I
think others numerous times.  You are promoting a comercial product on
the net, at the most a posting to comp.newprod or whatever it is called
would be in order, anything else is realy not.

Another side note, is the COCONET name not owned by Atlantix (or something
like that)?
--
Michael Galassi				| nerd@percy.rain.com
MS-DOS:  The ultimate PC virus.		| ...!tektronix!percy!nerd

briand@rfengr.com (Brian Dear) (02/17/91)

> Another side note, is the COCONET name not owned by Atlantix (or something
> like that)?

COCONET(R) is a registered trademark of Coconut Computing, Inc.  Coconut
owns the trademark.   Note that Atlantix *used* to be called CocoNet, but
changed their name to Atlantix.

Brian Dear                 brian@coconut.com           Coconut Computing, Inc.