[comp.sys.next] 16 bit recording

hitt@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Daniel Hitt) (02/14/91)

As far as i know, there are three (3rd party) devices for recording
16-bit sound (on the NeXT), DigitalEars, Singular Solutions, and Ariel.

Does anyone have any experience with these they'd wish to discuss?
Has anyone used more than one and can make a comparison?
Is any of them exceptionally bad or good?
Are there others that i'm missing?

dan
(hitt@neon.stanford.edu)

cpenrose@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Christopher Penrose) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb14.034911.10704@Neon.Stanford.EDU> hitt@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Daniel Hitt) writes:
>As far as i know, there are three (3rd party) devices for recording
>16-bit sound (on the NeXT), DigitalEars, Singular Solutions, and Ariel.
>Does anyone have any experience with these they'd wish to discuss?

Ok.  I own an Ariel microphone.  It has the lowest price, and with my cursory
experience with the Digital Ears that they have at UCSD, I would say that
their conversion quality is roughly equivalent.  The Ariel also has a stereo
microphone, such that it appears to be more flexible.  I was disappointed
to discover that the microphone frequency response is incredibly varied.
It is much better than a CODEC mike, but that is not saying much at all.
I try to avoid using the microphone directly.  It's stereo inputs work very
well.  For two hundred dollars more, you lose the mike and get two convenient
potentiometers on the Digital Ears.  The Ariel microphone has potentiometers
also, but they are only accesible with a tiny screwdriver.  Although the
microphone is a hoax, I would recommend the Ariel product over the Digital
Ears.  I have not had any experience with the Singular Solutions box.  It is
probably the way to go if it ever works as advertised.  I was told from some
folks at Princeton that they have yet to get a working unit after several
returns.  The situation may be different now however.

Christopher

ifjrs@acad3.alaska.edu (STANNARD JOHN R) (02/18/91)

In article <1991Feb14.034911.10704@Neon.Stanford.EDU>, hitt@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Daniel Hitt) writes...
>As far as i know, there are three (3rd party) devices for recording
>16-bit sound (on the NeXT), DigitalEars, Singular Solutions, and Ariel.
>
>Does anyone have any experience with these they'd wish to discuss?
>Has anyone used more than one and can make a comparison?
>Is any of them exceptionally bad or good?
>Are there others that i'm missing?
>
>dan
>(hitt@neon.stanford.edu)

I, too, am having problems figuring out the differences among these
three that are in the Software and Peripherals Fall Catalog.

John

--

John Stannard
KL7JL@KL7JL	IFJRS@ACAD3.FAI.ALASKA.EDU	BITNET: IFJRS@ALASKA