[comp.sys.next] Dumb terminal user mail agent

bromine@ISI.EDU (Bill Romine) (02/15/91)

Does anyone know of a user mail agent which works with NeXT style
mailboxes and a dumb terminal.  We would like to use NeXT's Mail
application, but also be able to access the same mailboxes from a
dialup line.  Just using the bsd mail agent distributed by NeXT
doesn't cut it.

PS:  Does anyone have a filter to convert a NeXT-type mail message to
     something a human can read (for when NeXT user's send NeXT mail
     to non-NeXT users).

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (02/16/91)

bromine@ISI.EDU (Bill Romine) writes:

>Does anyone know of a user mail agent which works with NeXT style
>mailboxes and a dumb terminal.  We would like to use NeXT's Mail
>application, but also be able to access the same mailboxes from a
>dialup line.  Just using the bsd mail agent distributed by NeXT
>doesn't cut it.

	We at RSX Tech are considering the potential demand for a highly
functional, but easy to use curses based e-mail interface for the NeXT.
The intent is to provide connectivity for those *not* operating at the
NeXT console, but rather accessing through alpha/numeric terminals or
remote dialup. We offer such a product (FXmail) under UNIX/386, Xenix/386
and other environments and can support the same product on the NeXT if
the demand is there.

	Obviously, NeXT Mail supports objects not appropriate to the
dumb terminal environment, a fact the mailer recognizes by supporting
posts to non-NeXT systems. How might you want such objects handled?
Email or post comments at your discretion.

-----------
uunet!media!ka3ovk!raysnec!shwake				shwake@rsxtech

drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) (02/17/91)

bromine@ISI.EDU (Bill Romine) writes:

> PS:  Does anyone have a filter to convert a NeXT-type mail message to
>      something a human can read (for when NeXT user's send NeXT mail
>      to non-NeXT users).

Well, if you're using the NeXT Mail App, you can set an internal filter
that'll handle that for you. Just click on the MeXTMail button in the
Send window, and it'll do it for you...if you're outside Mail, sorry,
can't help...

-drin

I'm still interested in hearing if anyone's working on a NeXT
Mail-compatible user agent for color SPARCstations (must be able
to display TIFF images and handle CODEC audio).

					-=EPS=-

declan@remus.rutgers.edu (Declan McCullagh/LZ) (02/18/91)

> bromine@ISI.EDU (Bill Romine) writes:
>
> PS:  Does anyone have a filter to convert a NeXT-type mail message to
>      something a human can read (for when NeXT user's send NeXT mail
>      to non-NeXT users).

After the message is saved to a file ('s filename' if you use
/usr/ucb/Mail), it'll be in uuencoded form first, so:

        uudecode filename

The file uudecode creates will be similar to ".tar.xxx.subject_name.attach"
(if memory serves me correctly), where xxx is a positive integer, and
subject_name represents the message's subject (truncated).  At this point,
the mail message will be in compressed/tar'd form, so to fully extract
all the files:

        mv .tar.xxx.subject_attach filename.Z
        zcat filename.Z | tar xf -

This will extract all the attachments and place them in your current
directory.  An index file, called "index.rtf", will also be created.
If the mail message was an RTF-only letter without any attachments,
you might want to convert it to ASCII for easier reading.  I have a
program somewhere called "stripText" which will do this for you, or
you could look in a back message, where garp!pbiron@keynes.ucsd.edu
(Paul Biron) listed a set of filters (rtf2text, rtf2troff) available
for FTP; check out comp.text or comp.sys.mac.apps for more information.

And, of course, you could automate this whole thing in a shell script.
Perhaps this should be in the FAQ list if it isn't already - Pascal?

Declan McCullagh
Independent NeXT Developer
--
-----
foo!!

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (02/18/91)

/ comp.sys.next / declan@remus.rutgers.edu (Declan McCullagh/LZ) / Feb 18'91 /
> And, of course, you could automate this whole thing in a shell script.

I read my mail with NextStep, but not NeXT Mail.  So when mail in NeXT form
arrives, here's the script I use:

~/bin/unNeXTmail:
#!/bin/sh -
gawk -F. '
/^begin/ {
	    filename=$4 ".tar.Z";
	    print $1 filename | "uudecode";
	    next;
	 }
	 {
	    print | "uudecode";
	 }
END	 {
	    close("uudecode");
	    system("chmod u+r " filename ";zcat " filename " | tar xpvf -;rm -f " filename ";open index.rtf");
	 }
'

If you are doing this on a plain ASCII terminal, you may want to replace
"open index.rtf" with "more index.rtf".

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob