[comp.sys.next] NextStep 2.0

john@csrnxt1.ae.utexas.edu (John R. Schutz) (02/08/91)

Howdy all.  While I am waiting ever so patiently for my '040 upgrade
(March sometime?  jeeesh), I would like to upgrade to NextStep 2.0.
The center here told us that they don't have any, 'but some are on
order'.  I really can't believe that NeXT is backlogged on the
operating system, since all they have to do is duplicate it.  Anyways,
are there any colleges out there that have a copy in stock (on optical
preferably) that they can sell to us at educational prices?  Any info
appreciated.

								john

--
| John R. Schutz                     | Email&NeXTmail:                       |
| A learning NeXTie                  |		john@csrnxt1.ae.utexas.edu   |

anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu (Stephen R. Anderson) (02/08/91)

In article <john.665970015@csrnxt1.ae.utexas.edu> john@csrnxt1.ae.utexas.edu (John R. Schutz) writes:

   I would like to upgrade to NextStep 2.0.
   The center here told us that they don't have any, 'but some are on
   order'.  I really can't believe that NeXT is backlogged on the
   operating system, since all they have to do is duplicate it.

Yes, but to do that (so as to be useful for old cubes), they need
OD's. Which (apparently) they have not got. So we get to wait.

Steve Anderson

garnett@cs.utexas.edu (John William Garnett) (02/11/91)

In article <john.665970015@csrnxt1.ae.utexas.edu> john@csrnxt1.ae.utexas.edu (John R. Schutz) writes:
>Howdy all.  While I am waiting ever so patiently for my '040 upgrade
>(March sometime?  jeeesh), I would like to upgrade to NextStep 2.0.
>The center here told us that they don't have any, 'but some are on
>order'.  I really can't believe that NeXT is backlogged on the
>operating system, since all they have to do is duplicate it.  Anyways,

Duplicating isn't so hard... Finding something to duplicate onto appears
to be the problem :-).  Someone, somewhere, seriously misjudged demand
for blank r/w optical disks.

What I would propose is to buy the license only (no media) from NeXT
or B'land (good luck in getting the University to sell this) for the
~ $65 that it costs.  Take the license and a blank optical to someone
who has 2.0 installed (yes there are a lucky few :-) and do a BuildDisk.
Can someone in-the-know comment on the feasibility (legality etc.)
of doing this?

Of course you still have the problem of finding a blank optical.
However, this appears to be somewhat easier than getting ahold of 2.0.

>are there any colleges out there that have a copy in stock (on optical
>preferably) that they can sell to us at educational prices?  Any info
>appreciated.

Not likely that you could buy from another University.  You might be
able to get someone to buy for you (questionable).  Most likely,
other Universities are having the same problem.
--
John Garnett
                              University of Texas at Austin

jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (02/17/91)

anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu (Stephen R. Anderson) writes:
>Yes, but to do that (so as to be useful for old cubes), they need
>OD's. Which (apparently) they have not got. So we get to wait.

We have now had a NeXTStation for about a month and we are still waiting
for the 2.0 extended. Using a NeXT without the man pages and with practically
no programs to speak of isn't fun. I wonder why NeXT has trouble duplicating
3.5" disks.

This whole situation reminds me of 1984, when I had only MacWrite and MacPaint
to use with my Macintosh.

I also dislike the fact that 2.0 is not included on diskettes with the
computers. Every other computer manufacturer that I know of provides
an installable copy of the operating system. What happens if our NeXT
disk is accidentally erased and I find out that I goofed when I made
the backup? There's no way to boot the system and no way to restore
the disk. We only have one NeXT, so we can't even use other computers
for booting.

  / Juri Munkki	    /  Helsinki University of Technology   /  Wind  / Project /
 / jmunkki@hut.fi  /  Computing Center Macintosh Support  /  Surf  /  STORM  /

mikec@wor.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) (02/17/91)

In article <1991Feb17.113832.2803@santra.uucp> jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) writes:
>>john@csrnxt1.ae.utexas.edu (John R. Schutz) writes:
>>>   I would like to upgrade to NextStep 2.0.
>>>   The center here told us that they don't have any, 'but some are on
>>>   order'.  I really can't believe that NeXT is backlogged on the
>>>   operating system, since all they have to do is duplicate it.
>
>anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu (Stephen R. Anderson) writes:
>>Yes, but to do that (so as to be useful for old cubes), they need
>>OD's. Which (apparently) they have not got. So we get to wait.

I have NS2.0 Extended on Optical Disk. If someone can check the
legaltity issue and get back to me, I will be more than willing to
sell to disk to whomever makes me the first unrefusable offer.

Apparently, if you own have any 040 machine, or will have an 040
Cube as soon as your upgrade arrives, then you have the licensing
required to run 2.0 Extended.

So, if you're on a NeXTStation, and have access to a Cube still running
1.0, or whatever...and you want a permanent copy of 2.0 Extended, let
me know. I'll sell the one original OD I got in my upgrade box.

MikeC

(If anyone from NeXT determines, or can point out, that this is
not a legal thing to do, let me know. I'm not out to be malicious.
I'm just trying to help with the shortages)

Michael D. Callaghan, MDC Designs, University of Maryland
mikec@wam.umd.edu

lang@panews (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb17.152339.7078@wam.umd.edu> mikec@wor.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) writes:
>In article <1991Feb17.113832.2803@santra.uucp> jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) writes:
>>>john@csrnxt1.ae.utexas.edu (John R. Schutz) writes:
>>anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu (Stephen R. Anderson) writes:
>>>Yes, but to do that (so as to be useful for old cubes), they need
>>>OD's. Which (apparently) they have not got. So we get to wait.
>>
>I have NS2.0 Extended on Optical Disk. If someone can check the
>legaltity issue and get back to me, I will be more than willing to
>sell to disk to whomever makes me the first unrefusable offer.

Don't.  When you purchase "NextStep" you are legally purchasing a
license to use the software.  You don't own the software, the copy of
it, or the medium on which it was delivered.  It is possible, under some
license agreements (I can't speak for NeXT's), to transfer ownership of
the license to use the software, but once you transfer it you no longer
have it.  In other words, you cannot sell the disk or a copy of it,
since you don't own them; all you can sell, if permitted by the license
agreement, is the right to use the software--and once you transfer that
right to somebody else, you no longer have it.

Be seeing you...
++Lang

scott@erick.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb18.160300.1@capd.jhuapl.edu> waltrip@capd.jhuapl.edu writes:
   In article <1991Feb17.113832.2803@santra.uucp>, jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri
    Munkki) writes:
	   [...material deleted...]
   > I also dislike the fact that 2.0 is not included on diskettes with the
   > computers.
   Well, I understand you can buy it...but the large number of floppies
   required for an extended release together with their high price makes
   it quite a lot to give away (even for Steve Jobs and Ross Perot;^)--
   especially in view of the intended use of NeXTstations as network nodes
   that could avail themselves of a central file server.

Well, the obvious solution is to purchase the floppies with your machine.
Right now I guess you probably won't get them for awhile, but once
NeXT has the logistics down, you shouldn't have a problem.

But don't make _me_ pay for floppies that I don't want.  In the end, if
the Extended release were included on floppy, we'd all be paying that
extra 200-odd dollars, rather than only those who really need it.
[I can use our lab machines to rebuild, if I need to -scott]  Besides,
they'd not have had the media to include at this time, from the way
it sounds.

Later,
--
scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	GAC Undergrad

In article <1991Feb18.202925.26747@ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com> lang@panews writes:
   In article <1991Feb17.152339.7078@wam.umd.edu> mikec@wor.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) writes:
   >In article <1991Feb17.113832.2803@santra.uucp> jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) writes:
   >I have NS2.0 Extended on Optical Disk. If someone can check the
   >legaltity issue and get back to me, I will be more than willing to
   >sell to disk to whomever makes me the first unrefusable offer.

   Don't.  When you purchase "NextStep" you are legally purchasing a
   license to use the software.  You don't own the software, the copy of
   it, or the medium on which it was delivered.  It is possible, under some
   license agreements (I can't speak for NeXT's), to transfer ownership of
   the license to use the software, but once you transfer it you no longer
   have it.  In other words, you cannot sell the disk or a copy of it,
   since you don't own them; all you can sell, if permitted by the license
   agreement, is the right to use the software--and once you transfer that
   right to somebody else, you no longer have it.

My understanding of the license is that those who have purchased the
new machines are automagically licensed for 2.0 - they have to be,
as the new machines cannot run 1.0.  [I'm not sure where upgrades
fall, though.]  So, you can loan out your disk/network connection
for people who want to snarf parts of Extended, provided that they
already have the Standard release.

The fuzzy part is wrt upgrades (and cubes which retain the '030,
of course).  These will require at the least a purchase of the
license (the one without included media).  I believe that the
license itself can only be purchased at institutions which have
purchased a media/license combination, though.

When it comes down to it, you pay $xx for the license, and $yy
for the media it's on.  Presumably, you could sell the media for
$yy to some third party, but I would certainly not want to be the
first to try it.  I would recommend calling up your NeXT rep,
or NeXT itself, and asking them.  I'd be surprised if anyone got
taken to court over something like this (is sort of hard to catch,
after all), but I'd not take my chances for $200-odd dollars
(for a $3500-$10,000 machine, at that).  Just consider the amount
of questionable material on comp.sys.next (this post included,
I'm sure), and just pretend the idea never occurred . . . :-).
If I were a lawyer, I probably wouldn't read this . . .

Later,
--

waltrip@capd.jhuapl.edu (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb17.113832.2803@santra.uucp>, jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri
 Munkki) writes:
	[...material deleted...]
> I also dislike the fact that 2.0 is not included on diskettes with the
> computers.
	Well, I understand you can buy it...but the large number of floppies
	required for an extended release together with their high price makes
	it quite a lot to give away (even for Steve Jobs and Ross Perot;^)--
	especially in view of the intended use of NeXTstations as network nodes
	that could avail themselves of a central file server.

	Personally, I'm just hoping DAT drives keep getting cheaper FAST!

c.f.waltrip

Internet:  <waltrip@capsrv.jhuapl.edu>

Opinions expressed are my own.