[comp.sys.next] NeXt Mach Kernel

cafe@cbnewse.att.com (richard.dib) (02/19/91)

I need pointers to papers about the Mach Kernel and the NeXt
implementation of it.

Thanks,

Richard Dib
AT&T Bell Laboratories

	NeXt EMail : alien.att.com!bootsie!heaven!dib
	Regular EMail :dib@ihlpy.att.com

garnett@cs.utexas.edu (John William Garnett) (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb18.213624.8891@cbnewse.att.com> cafe@cbnewse.att.com (richard.dib) writes:
>I need pointers to papers about the Mach Kernel and the NeXt
>implementation of it.
>
>Thanks,

>Richard Dib
>AT&T Bell Laboratories
>
>	NeXt EMail : alien.att.com!bootsie!heaven!dib
>	Regular EMail :dib@ihlpy.att.com

The following is from NeXTanswers.  It is only current through July 1988.
I debated whether to post this or just say, look in NeXTanswers.  I
decided to post because not everyone has a NeXT or NeXTanswers.  Another
reason for posting is to request that NeXT provide an updated version of
this list (by replacing os.353 with an updated version).

os.353:

Q: Where can I read more about Mach than is available in the NeXT manuals?

A:  The list of articles below was compiled in July of 1988.  For more recent papers, contact the Computer Science Department at Carnegie Mellon University.

Accetta, Mike, and R.Baron, W.Bolosky, D.Golub, R.Rashid, A.Tevanian,...
	Mach: A New Kernel Foundation for UNIX Development
	Dept. of CS, CMU.   AUG 86

Baron, Robert V., and D.Black,W.Bolosky,J.Chew,...
	MACH Kernel Interface Manual
	Dept. of CS, CMU.  15 FEB 88

Black, David L. and D.Golub,  K.Hauth, A.Tevanian, R.Sanzi
	The Mach Exception Handling Facility
	CMU-CS-88-129.  April 88.

Cooper, Eric C. and R.Draves
	C Threads
	Dept. of CS, CMU.  2 MAR 87

Draves, Richard R. and M.Jones, M.Thompson
	MIG---The MACH Interface Generator
	Dept. of CS, CMU.  12 AUG 87

Golub, David and R.Rashid, A.Tevanian, M.Thompson
	Mach Release 2 Distribution Notes
	Dept. of CS, CMU   FEB 88 ??

ITOM International
	MACH: The Shape of UNIX Future?
	Supermicro Newsletter,  JUL 87

Jones, Michael B. and R.Rashid
	Mach and Matchmaker:  Kernel and Language Suppport for Object-Oriented 		Distributed Systems
	CMU-CS-87-150   SEP 86; also ACM OOPSLA '86

MACH Networking Group
	MACH Network Server Design
	22 FEB 88   (poor copy)

Rashid, Richard
	Threads of a New System
	Unix Review, AUG 86

Rashid, Richard F.	Designs for Parallel Architectures
	Unix Review,  APR 87

Rashid, Richard
	From RIG to Accent to Mach:  The Evolution of a Network Operating System
	Dept. of CS, CMU.  28 AUG 87

Rashid, Richard, and A.Tevanian, M.Young, D.Golub, R.Baron, D.Black,...
	Machine-Independent Virtual Memory Management for Paged 	Uniprocessor and Multiprocessor Architectures
	CMU-CS-87-140    JUL 87

Sansom, Robert D. and D.Julin, R.Rashid
	Extending a Capability Based System into a Network Environment
	CMU-CS-86-115   24 APR 86

Tevanian, Avadis, and R.Rashid, M.Young, D.Golub, M.Thompson,...
	A Unix Interface for Shared Memory and Memory Mapped Files Under 		Mach
	Dept. of CS, CMU   30 JUL 87

Tevanian, Avadis, and R.Rashid, D.Golub, D.Black, E.Cooper, M.Young
	Mach Threads and the Unix kernel:  The Battle for Control
	CMU-CS-87-149   AUG 87

Tevanian, Avadis, and R.Rashid
	MACH: A Basis for Future UNIX Development
	CMU-CS-87-139   JUN 87

Tevanian, Avadis
	Architecture-Independent Virtual Memory Management for Parallel
		and Distributed Environments: The Mach Approach
	CMU-CS-88-106.  DEC 87 (Avie's thesis).

Thompson, Mary
	MACH Environment Manager
	Dept. of CS, CMU.  16 JUL 87

Walmer, Linda and M.Thompson
	A Programmer's Guide to the Mach System Calls
	Dept. of CS, CMU.  16 FEB 88

Walmer, Linda R. and M.Thompson
	A Programmer's Guide to the Mach User Environment
	Dept. of CS, CMU.  16 FEB 88

Young, Michael and A.Tevanian, R.Rashid, D.Golub, J.Eppinger, J.Chew,...
	The Duality of Memory and Communication in the Implementation
	of a Multiprocessor Operating System.
	CMU-CS-87-155    AUG 87

QA353

--