[net.auto] G-supercharger, Syncro and new models

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (11/26/85)

In article <329@mmm.UUCP> schley@mmm.UUCP (Steve Schley) writes:

>> VW does not have any gasoline turbo engines available;
>> the GTI will receive one of the new VW G-superchargers in a year
>> or two, though, along with 4-wheel drive.  VW uses turbos in lots
>> of diesel engines, though...

> I'm familiar with the aftermarket turbos for VWs, and I've heard about
> the twin-cam engine for the mid-'86 Scirocco (why not the GTI/GLI?
> moan, moan...).

Scirocco 16V (the twin-cam version) will come out before GTI 16V
mainly because the GTI has an 'image problem'; i.e. it's got that nice
sporty body but is no faster than the GTI.  GTI 16V will likely debut
sometime in 1987.

> Can someone enlighten me about this "G-supercharger"?  And what are the
> pros/cons of VW Synchro versus Audi Quattro for all-wheel-drive?

OK, G-supercharger:
VW's newest european model is Polo GT G40 (Polo is a subcompact,
rather similar-looking and -sized as the new Honda Civic; Polo GT has
been the top-of-the-line model with coupe bodywork and a high-
compression 1.3 engine).  The G40 features VW's new G-supercharger, which
provides better performance, in VW's opinion, than a turbo, and at a
lower cost.  The reason the GT received a supercharger instead of
GTI's 112-hp 1.8 engine was that the GTI engine is too large to be
installed in a Polo from below (necessary for the production line).
G40 produces, as I recall, about 105hp and torque comparable to the
GTI, all from 1.3 liters.  (All hp here are in DIN).

The big deal about the supercharger, besides being the only major
manufacturer to currently use one, is that it's not a Roots blower or
a Volumex (like Lancia).  It's based on a 1905 patent by some French
engineer, but this is the first time it has been used in a
supercharger.  The idea is that the vanes are G-shaped, giving much
better power characteristics (I could tell you more if I were an
engineer or had photographic memory!).  The latest issue of Car has a
very good 2-page technical explanation of it.

There apparently will be a GTI G50 in a year or so --- in Europe.  It
apparently will *not* be based on the 16V engine, as the 4 vpc design
is more suited to a turbo, while conventional 2 vpc engine works
better with a supercharger.  Still, it should produce around 160-170
hp DIN, or 150-160 hp SAE, and great torque characteristics.  What the
16V development path might be is not yet clear.

The VW Syncro:
Curreently there are two VW 4wd models: Passat (Quantum) Syncro
and Transporter (Vanagon) Syncro.  The Passat uses the Audi system,
which I'm sure we're all familiar with.  Why?  Passat is very close in
design to the Audi 80/100 (4000/5000) with its longitudonal front
engine and fwd.  The Vanagon is a different story, with the rear
engine and powertrain, and so VW developed its own in conjunction with
Daimler-Steyr-Puch of Austria.  This system is basically 2wd most of
the time, with 4wd kicking in automatically as wheels begin to spin.
No manual differential locks or anything.  According to test drive
reports, the Transporter system works really smoothly, with the 4wd
kick-in almost unnoticeable.  This is the system that will be
installed in the Golf Syncro when it comes on the market.

New models:
In 1987 we will see a new Audi 80 (4000).  Judging by the spy shots,
this will simnply blow the 100 (5000) off the road; it's very
aerodynamic, and using past experience the Audi engineers have honed
it down to perfection.  It also looks verry verry nice, much better
than the 100.  Time to start saving money for a 4000 Quattro...

In 1988, I believe, the Passat (Quantum) will be revamped.  It will
receive an all-new body, a transverse engine, and likely a
supercharger for the top-of-the-line models (since the Audi 5-cylinder
engine will no longer fit).

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
I'm all lost in the Supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
Guaranteed personality				 (c) The Clash, 1979

pz@emacs.UUCP (Paul Czarnecki) (12/02/85)

In article <1913@watdcsu.UUCP> haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen) writes:
>Scirocco 16V (the twin-cam version) will come out before GTI 16V
>mainly because the GTI has an 'image problem'; i.e. it's got that nice
>sporty body but is no faster than the GTI.  GTI 16V will likely debut
>sometime in 1987.
>				   \tom haapanen
>				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen

I assume you meant to say...
>...mainly because the *SCIROCCO* has an 'image problem'; ...

Also, I asked at the Boston Auto Show when the US introduction of the
16V GTI would be available, and they said May or June 1986.  I don't
know (or care much) if this would be a 1986 or a 1987 model.  I hope it
gets here soon so I can get kid of my Omni.  (just put a new clutch in.
ARRRRGGGhhh!  I had to abandon it in Philadelphia and take my parents'
Chevy Celebrity (YUK!) back to Boston)

But seriously, I noticed that your posting originated in Canada so your
dates are probably different and you probably get better cars anyway.
(We'll NEVER see a Polo in this country!)

					pZ
--
-- My wife ran off with my best friend, and I miss him.

   Paul Czarnecki
   Uniworks, Inc.		decvax!{cca,wanginst!infinet}!emacs!pz
   20 William Street		emacs!pz@cca-unix.ARPA
   Wellesley, MA 02181		(617) 235-2600

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (12/09/85)

In article <123@emacs.UUCP> pz@emacs.UUCP (Paul Czarnecki) writes:

>>Scirocco 16V (the twin-cam version) will come out before GTI 16V
>>mainly because the GTI has an 'image problem'; i.e. it's got that nice
>>sporty body but is no faster than the GTI.  GTI 16V will likely debut
>>sometime in 1987.

>I assume you meant to say...
>>...mainly because the *SCIROCCO* has an 'image problem'; ...

Right.  YABF (Yet Another Brain Fade).

>Also, I asked at the Boston Auto Show when the US introduction of the
>16V GTI would be available, and they said May or June 1986.  I don't
>know (or care much) if this would be a 1986 or a 1987 model.

Here, it's May/June for Scirocco 16V.  The GTI 16V will come out in
late fall of '86 or early '87.  US release dates may be different.

>But seriously, I noticed that your posting originated in Canada so your
>dates are probably different and you probably get better cars anyway.

We used to to get 10 hp more in Audis...  The current models are
pretty close though and the Golfs and GTIs are exactly the same.  The
European VW's and Audis don't have the third brake light though.

>(We'll NEVER see a Polo in this country!)

No, but you'll see a Gol next year (whatever it'll be called in the
US).  This is the Brazilian equivalent of a Polo; the older version
(about 5 years back) had fwd but a front-mounted flat four, air-cooled
(yes, a real live Beetle engine).  The new one has a Golf 4-cylinder I
think.  It'll be imported into the US along with an "avec trunk"
version (a Derby equivalent).  They say it'll cost about $5000 US.
Not quite a Yugo price, but it is a bit more of a car.