[comp.sys.next] Fonts

scott@erick.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (02/20/91)

In article <HPmNX1w163w@ersys.uucp> ersys!drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) writes:
   If this has been answered before, I apologize...

I don't think it has.

   Once I have FontCollection2.0 installed as per the included Makefile, how
   do I make the fonts accessible to my apps? Every time I try and use one
   of the new fonts from within WriteNow or Ed (to name two examples), I get
   << unaccessible font >>. What am I doing wrong?

Where'd you install them?  We had some similar problems, as we were
playing with a weirder installation (removing some of them, moving
others elsewhere, etc).  The evenual solution turned out to be to run
buildafmdir on the directory.  Apparently, this should be done anytime
you do anything to the directory, just to be safe.  This builds caches
for locations of various font data, I believe, so that the Font Panel
doesn't have to build them itself for every application.

I'm not sure what needs to be done then for stuff to work.  Best
solution would obviously be to log out and then back in.  Try it
without logging out, I suppose - you can always log out if that
doesn't work :-).

   On the subject of fonts, is there any reason why the afm directory under
   /NextLibrary/Fonts in 2.0 has symbolic links to all the existing .afm
   files? What does this do?

Best bet is that it eases access for the Font object, which does a
certain amount of afm-handling, I believe.  I'm sort of unsure on this,
too, as there's apparently no afm directory needed for the pd fonts.

Later,
--
scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	GAC Undergrad

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (02/21/91)

In article <HPmNX1w163w@ersys.uucp> ersys!drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) writes:

>On the subject of fonts, is there any reason why the afm directory under
>/NextLibrary/Fonts in 2.0 has symbolic links to all the existing .afm
>files? What does this do?

The directory layout for fonts changed between 1.0 and 2.0, and the
symbolic links provide a "bridge" that make fonts in 2.0 format
accessible from the directory structure used under 1.0, without
duplicating all the font data.  Some applications (notably FrameMaker)
relied on the 1.0 format, and would not run correctly under 2.0
unless these symbolic links were there.  I haven't verified if they
have fixed this in 2.0d or not.

Eventually, the need for the symbolic links will go away, but they
don't hurt much to have them there, in the meantime.

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		NeXT/PostScript developers

tsui@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Yufeng Tsui) (02/21/91)

In article <HPmNX1w163w@ersys.uucp> ersys!drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) writes:
>Once I have FontCollection2.0 installed as per the included Makefile, how
>do I make the fonts accessible to my apps? Every time I try and use one
>of the new fonts from within WriteNow or Ed (to name two examples), I get
><< unaccessible font >>. What am I doing wrong?

I think you should run buildafmdir on the font directory.  It extracts
the fontnames and put it in .fontlist(or something similiar).   After
you run some applications, you will also notice that the .cache file
is created.  That probably means everytime you put some new fonts on
there, you have to get rid of .cache and run buildafmdir again.

>On the subject of fonts, is there any reason why the afm directory under
>/NextLibrary/Fonts in 2.0 has symbolic links to all the existing .afm
>files? What does this do?

I will guess it tries to make 2.0 compatible with 1.0 font directory
format.

Anyone know why "/usr/lib/NextStep/WindowServer -e start" does not work
anymore under 2.0?  It says window server can not open /dev/vid0...

Thanks!

--yufeng
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  IIII
Yufeng Tsui, UCS of Indiana University. Bloomington , IN  47405      UU II UU
{att,ames,rutgers,purdue}!iuvax!copper!tsui                           U II U
tsui@indiana.edu, tsui@wood4.ucs.indiana.edu (NeXT mail)              U II U
tsuiy@iubacs.bitnet (forwarded)                                         UU
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  IIII

mikec@vs04wor.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) (02/21/91)

In article <429@heaven.woodside.ca.us> glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) writes:
>In article <HPmNX1w163w@ersys.uucp> ersys!drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) writes:
>
>>On the subject of fonts, is there any reason why the afm directory under
>>/NextLibrary/Fonts in 2.0 has symbolic links to all the existing .afm
>>files? What does this do?
>
>The directory layout for fonts changed between 1.0 and 2.0, and the
>symbolic links provide a "bridge" that make fonts in 2.0 format
>accessible from the directory structure used under 1.0, without
>duplicating all the font data.  Some applications (notably FrameMaker)
>relied on the 1.0 format, and would not run correctly under 2.0
>unless these symbolic links were there.  I haven't verified if they
>have fixed this in 2.0d or not.

I am using FrameMaker 2.0d, and TopDraw 1.0 on my 030 Cube running 2.0.
I can say absolutely that Frame and TopDraw BOTH require the symbolic
links. I'm sure you can imagine the joy of clicking SET from the font
panel, only to have all your application windows disappear from the
screen! Hopefully, this won't be a problem long.

MikeC

Michael D. Callaghan, MDC Designs, University of Maryland
mikec@wam.umd.edu