[comp.sys.next] NeXT Step. 2.0 Japanese?

dmoon@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Doksu Moon) (02/19/91)

Does anyone knows about the Japanese release of NeXTstep. 2.0?  I have heard
somewhere that there will be a release, but I know none of the specifics.  How
does one go about getting it and does it provide full kanji support?  Are there
any statements about software releases for it?  If anyone knows anything about
it please e-mail to the address below.  Thanks in advance.

Doksu Moon '91
Princeton University
dmoon@phoenix.princeton.edu

yonezawa@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Noritake Yonezawa) (02/20/91)

dmoon@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Doksu Moon) writes:

>Does anyone knows about the Japanese release of NeXTstep. 2.0?  I have heard
>somewhere that there will be a release, but I know none of the specifics.  How
>does one go about getting it and does it provide full kanji support?  Are there
>any statements about software releases for it?  If anyone knows anything about
>it please e-mail to the address below.  Thanks in advance.

In Japan, Canon will release NeXTstep 2.0-J in May.
It will be delivered with OD. For more detailed information, contact:

	NeXT Marketing div. of Canon, Japan	phone: +81-44-549-5295

--
Noritake Yonezawa [yonezawa@cs.uiuc.edu]
Department of Computer Science

izumi@fugitive.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb20.014726.12791@m.cs.uiuc.edu>
  yonezawa@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Noritake Yonezawa) writes:
>dmoon@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Doksu Moon) writes:
>
>>Does anyone knows about the Japanese release of NeXTstep. 2.0?  I have heard
>In Japan, Canon will release NeXTstep 2.0-J in May.
>It will be delivered with OD. For more detailed information, contact:
>
>	NeXT Marketing div. of Canon, Japan	phone: +81-44-549-5295

I just called up that number, but not much specific information
could be made available to me at this point.  I asked if the
price in Yen for the 2.0-J upgrade on OD is available, and the marketing
person said no.

Whether 2.0-J can be available from NeXT in the US is not known yet,
apparently.  He didn't think there would be any problem for
ordering 2.0-J from Canon directly.  Of course, it would be a lot
easier for us to be able to get 2.0-J from NeXT directly, so
I made a clear request that Canon and NeXT set up some way
of doing this.  (My bank charges $25 for international wire
transfer of funds, and a receiving Japanese bank charges
1,500 yen per transfer.)
I urge you to make similar requests to NeXT and/or Canon.

There are a lot of questions like, how to handle "upgrade" from
2.0 to 2.0-J.  It would be nice and reasonable to give some
break to those who already have 2.0 OS license.

In any case, he said he would fax the details to me when
they become available.  I will let you know if/when he does.

That it will be available soon at all is great news though.
All of a sudden, NeXT Laser printer becomes a great
Kanji PostScript printer.  I bet the combination of
NeXTstation ($3200 academic)+ NeXT Laser ($1200? academic)
+ 2.0-J would beat LaserWriter NTX-J easily in both performance
and price.

--
Izumi Ohzawa             [ $@Bg_78^=;(J ]
USMail: University of California, 360 Minor Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720

tucker@hoss.unl.edu (Gregory Tucker) (02/20/91)

Isn't Adobe also doing some work to make Postscript more compatible
with international languages?  I believe that I heard something
about it, but...

Gregory

In <1991Feb20.014726.12791@m.cs.uiuc.edu> yonezawa@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Noritake Yonezawa) writes:

>In Japan, Canon will release NeXTstep 2.0-J in May.
>It will be delivered with OD. For more detailed information, contact:

>	NeXT Marketing div. of Canon, Japan	phone: +81-44-549-5295

>--
>Noritake Yonezawa [yonezawa@cs.uiuc.edu]
>Department of Computer Science
>University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
    ___  ___  ___  ___  ___   Gregory Tucker Senior Comp Sci Engineering
   /__  /__/ /__  /__  /  /  University of Nebraska at Lincoln
  /__/ /  \ /__  /__/ /__/  tucker@unoma1.BITNET, tucker@hoss.unl.edu
 __________________________NeXT Campus Consultant______________________________

    ___  ___  ___  ___  ___   Gregory Tucker Junior Comp Sci Engineering
   /__  /__/ /__  /__  /  /  University of Nebraska at Lincoln
  /__/ /  \ /__  /__/ /__/  tucker@unoma1.BITNET, tucker@crchpux.unl.edu

pfkeb@ebnextk.SLAC.Stanford.EDU (Paul Kunz) (02/20/91)

   Well I'm going to Japan for a week next month and will be in contact
with Canon in order to do some demos of what I've done on the NeXT in
Japan.   So feed me the questions you want to ask of Canon while I'm
there.
   I must admit, however, that I've forgotten most of the Japanese
language that I used to know since my last visit there nine years ago.
(nihon go hanemasen).  I doubt I can still count to ten in Japanese.
So be gentle with your requests.
  It is distrubing, however, when I see my Japanese collegues at work
with kanji on their Macintosh screens, and not knowing how to do that
on my NeXT.

tucker@hoss.unl.edu (imal Sy Tucker) (02/22/91)

Keyw.rds: NeXTstep 2.0 Japanese releasewitcd<1991aren'm.03355still=0691@hoss.unl.edu>
Date: 2l[ropbs91 03:35:55 GMT
Refer?'ces: <6365@idunno.Princeton_EDU>dom aeb20.014726.12791@m.cs.uiuc.edu>
Sender: news@hoss.unl.edu (Network News Administer)
FILE *fps rniversrgew Nebraska - Lincoln

Isn't Adobe also doing some work to make Postscript more compatible
with international languages?  I believe that I heard something
about it, but...

id_dRry

--
 isapai_iiiiisapai_iiiiiisapai_iiiiiiisapai_iiiiiiiisapai_iiiiiiiiisapai_iiiiiiiiiisapai_iiiiiiiiii_
    iisapa  isapai  iisapa  iisapa  isapai   Gmal Sy Tucker Senior Comp

--
 isapai_iiiiiiiiii_iiisapai_iiiiiiiiii_iiiisapai_iiiiiiiiii_iiiiisapai_iiiiiiiiii_iiiiiisapai_
    iiail: