[comp.sys.next] Station to Monitor Cable.

gchunt@hellgate.utah.edu (Galen Hunt) (02/21/91)

Is there anything special about the station-to-monitor cable?

The cable the NeXT ships with the NeXTstation isn't long enough
for my needs so I called them this morning about getting a six
foot long cable like comes with the cube and they wanted $80
plus shipping.  The Nextconnection didn't have this table of
cable.

What I want to know is if I can just get a couple of DB-19 male
connectors and six feet of "regular" insulated cable and make
my own station-to-monitor cable.  Is there anything that would
make this less impractical?

Any suggestions are greatly welcome!

Galen
Galen C. Hunt                                            gchunt@sunset.utah.edu
Disclaimer: I don't even take credit for what I say so why should anyone else??

hess@greatwhite.cs.indiana.edu (Caleb Hess) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb20.175149.21174@albion.utah.edu> gchunt@hellgate.utah.edu (Galen Hunt) writes:

>What I want to know is if I can just get a couple of DB-19 male
>connectors and six feet of "regular" insulated cable and make
>my own station-to-monitor cable.  Is there anything that would
>make this less impractical?

There is a pin-out on page 382 of my User's Reference (page number may
have changed in the new doc's).  Anyway, it looks like it should be a
9 pair cable, although I haven't cut one open to see.  You'll want to
be careful to match each signal with a corresponding ground.

tspencer@eecs.wsu.edu (spencer tim david - CS250) (02/22/91)

Yes, you can use any cable that fits.  DB-19 cables are super-rare
(I couldn't find one in all of Boise!), but you can hack a regular
RS-232 cable to make it work, so long as all the pins are connected.
	You see, when I got my cube first, it was shipped in 3 parts
by the guy who sent it.  I got the cube and monitor soon after he
sent it, but there I was, with that glorious computer, monitor, mouse,
etc, without a monitor cable!!!  Needless to say, I was rather...
interested in getting it going THAT DAY, so I screamed about the Boise
valley, searching for the correct part.  No dice.  In an act of
desparation, I took a hacksaw to the heaviest shielded RS-232 cable I
could find, cut off the first couple of pins on each end of the cable
after making certain that I cut the same pins off of each side, and
some rudimentary checking to see if all channels were connected.
	I put it on there, and it worked!!!!  It looked pretty ugly
(the cable was this dirty grey and green thing), but I subsisted with
that setup for a good 3 days until the last package arrived.
	So, according to that, I would suppose that there is nothing
really special about those cables.  Hope this helped.  Have fun!

--
Tim Spencer:      freshman nobody at WSU,	spencer@bongo.csc.wsu.edu
 I want Ethernet!!  Would we have invaded if	tspencer@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu