[comp.sys.next] Notebook computers

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (02/14/91)

Check out the latest BYTE (the notebook computer issue)
article on GO corp's PenPoint operating system, which is an
OS + GUI meant to manage handrwritten input text on notebook/tablet
computers. It would
be great if NeXT developed a notebook computer for this OS.

The PenPoint OS sounds pretty fancy: kernel + shell written
in C, object oriented structure, multitasking (virtual mem?),
small, fast (enough for realtime hand written entry---3 characters
per second) and all tailored to the special needs of the
notebook + handwritten entry paradigm.

A part of the shell is a handwritten character recognition
filter and a spelling checker/correcter. They say the shell correctly
translates 4 out of 5 handwritten words on the first try, and most others
with minor quick corrections. You use various proof readers sybmols
to edit your input quickly, plus a few other pen strokes to control
scrolling, launching apps, etc. (This is all customizable, apparently).

The reason I bring this up is that GO licenses the Penpoint
OS to hardware vendors, who can then put it on their platform.
So far, IBM has signed on. It would be great if NeXT would too.
I would much rather see a NeXT notebook with the PenPoint OS
than a simple NeXT portable.

Now, you might say---hey, I want the usual NeXT
enviroment (unix + NextStep) on my NeXT notebook!
But thats wrong thinking---thats like saying you want
the NeXT environment running on the modems you use.
The notebook is really more like a peripheral
(that is portable and does Analog->ASCII conversion on text)
device than a primary computer: its main purpose is to collect analog notes
(from classes, lectures, meetings, ect) and convert them into
ASCII test for ease of storage and manipulation back on the
office computer. With such vastly different aims, it doesn't really
need a full NeXTStep, for instance, and benefits from a more
use-specific OS. In short, these tablets are
not meant to be portable computers---they inhabit a different niche
that can be filled more economically. They are more like  portable
A/D converter peripherals, and as such should be tailored to their
target application (note gathering).

Anyway, I hope NeXT gets into something like this---that would
be really cool (not to mention useful---the academic's dream
come true: a way to manage all those lecture notes!).

--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math

waltrip@capd.jhuapl.edu (02/15/91)

In article <1089@kaos.MATH.UCLA.EDU>, barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) writes:
> I would much rather see a NeXT notebook with the PenPoint OS
> than a simple NeXT portable.

	Yeah, me too (so long as it's black:-)

	I was excited about the PenPoint OS too.  It has received a lot of
	other press (including a Gasee article in MacWeek).  It
	is the only really personal computer concept going right now that is
	also well-mannered.  That is, the so-called portable or laptop PCs
	that I've seen (heard) have intrusively noisey keyboards and are
	thereby unusable during meetings.  You also won't be able to quietly
	take notes with your speech recognition computer either (although
	maybe it will be able to take the notes for you).

	I'm also pretty excited about the drawing tools in this environment.
	No GUI I've ever tried has been able to match the hand drawings I
	produce for sheer illegibility:^)  Well, anyway, I can make them out
	if too much time hasn't passed and I think drawing tools will be
	available in the PenPoint environment that might permit me to make
	my drawings and then salvage them into something legible to others
	in a small fraction of the time it takes me to produce something with
	the likes of MacDraw.

	I'd really like to see NeXT be a player with a nice interface between
	my desktop NeXT and my PenPoint-based NeXT system.

c.f.waltrip

Internet:  <waltrip@capsrv.jhuapl.edu>

Opinions expressed are my own.

scott@erick.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb14.154041.1@capd.jhuapl.edu> waltrip@capd.jhuapl.edu writes:
   I'd really like to see NeXT be a player with a nice interface between
   my desktop NeXT and my PenPoint-based NeXT system.

From what I've heard (sorry, I've not yet finished the BYTE
article/section), I also think this is a good idea.  Many people need
this - one machine that can go, one that can do real work.  One of
the options used is to have a sort of enclosure that allows you to
plug a real monitor/keyboard/disk drive into your portable.  I think
this is a bad idea, because it places too many constraints on the
machine.

Make the standing-still machine good at general stuff, make the on-the-
move machine good at taking notes and stuff.  After all, people
seldom write books on a train (I know alot write columns and stuff,
or at least get started on them, but few put the _finishing_ touches
on in a train or airplane, in my experience!)  Make the portable
conveinient, I guess would be the describtion.

A good use for the portable (well one of the GO type, at least) while
you're at the home console would be to plug it in and use it as a
sketch pad or digitizer pad.  The software could presumably have
specialized support on it, too - for instance, a CAD program could
probably allow you to use the sketchpad/portable touchscreen as
the main mode of input.  That would be _very_ interesting.

Later,
--
scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	GAC Undergrad

gessel@ilium.cs.swarthmore.edu (Daniel Mark Gessel) (02/15/91)

As far as I'm concerned, NeXT is NeXTStep. They should spend their
time putting together machines like the NeXTDimension; extensions to
DPS that support 3D realtime graphics, and the hardware to do it on;
coprocessor boards, with up to four 68040s; DSP boards and midi boxes
so your computer can sing to songs it writes; 50Mhz 68040, and/or
88000 based machine. There's enough hardware to build to support the
OS they have.

If all you want is an analog -> ASCII converter, with a
different OS, somebody else will build them (possibly lots of other
companies), and you can buy one of theirs.

Dan

--
Daniel Mark Gessel
Internet: gessel@cs.swarthmore.edu

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (02/16/91)

Is it just me, or are there any other people out there who can type
much faster than they can write?  I don't consider myself a fast or
accurate typist, but I can still get more work done with a keyboard
than with pen or pencil.

This PenPoint OS sounds curious, but how many serious users are going
use it instead of a Notebook sized computer with a keyboard?  My hand
cramps up after a long session of trying to scribble down notes at a
furious pace during some techinical session.  I was much more
effective with a small laptop.

Besides, how do you use Emacs without a control or meta key? :-)

louie

ifjrs@acad3.alaska.edu (STANNARD JOHN R) (02/18/91)

In article <1089@kaos.MATH.UCLA.EDU>, barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) writes...
>Check out the latest BYTE (the notebook computer issue)
>article on GO corp's PenPoint operating system, which is an
>OS + GUI meant to manage handrwritten input text on notebook/tablet
>computers. It would
>be great if NeXT developed a notebook computer for this OS.

I liked it, I liked it!

>Anyway, I hope NeXT gets into something like this---that would
>be really cool (not to mention useful---the academic's dream
>come true: a way to manage all those lecture notes!).

..and LOTS of OTHER uses...as you mentioned, it's NOT a desktop-
type machine (nor a workstation, etc.).

How about it NeXT?

>--
>Barry Merriman
>UCLA Dept. of Math
>UCLA Inst. for Fusion and Plasma Research
>barry@math.ucla.edu (Internet)

--

John Stannard
KL7JL@KL7JL	IFJRS@ACAD3.FAI.ALASKA.EDU	BITNET: IFJRS@ALASKA

--

mdixon@parc.xerox.com (Mike Dixon) (02/19/91)

i don't get it.  why do so many people in this group seem to think that
NeXT would be uniquely qualified to build a new machine that would have
0% of its hardware or software in common with NeXT's existing product line?

yes, i'd be happy to have a machine running GO's software.
no, i don't see why NeXT should be the people to build it.

--

                                             .mike.

waltrip@capd.jhuapl.edu (02/19/91)

In article <mdixon.666906987@thelonius>, mdixon@parc.xerox.com (Mike Dixon) writes:
> i don't get it.  why do so many people in this group seem to think that
> NeXT would be uniquely qualified to build a new machine that would have
> 0% of its hardware or software in common with NeXT's existing product line?
	Because only NeXT can be trusted to make sure it's BLACK.

	Actually, I've seen at least one reference to someone suggesting that
	the handwriting computer could be used as a peripheral to the NeXT
	with the ability to input handwriting or handdrawing directly.  I
	thought that was a good idea.

	Personally, I was interested in seeing the two systems use common
	objects (handwriting objects; handdrawn objects; etc) that could be
	passed back and forth.  Of course, if such things get to be
	standardized, it won't make much difference who developes the
	handwriting computer.  But the "handwriting computer as a NeXT
	peripheral device" still stands as something that I think NeXT may
	be well- (though not uniquely-) qualified to do.

c.f.waltrip

Internet:  <waltrip@capsrv.jhuapl.edu>

Opinions expressed are my own.

gessel@ilium.cs.swarthmore.edu (Daniel Mark Gessel) (02/20/91)

The article mentions the virtual keyboard. The screen is also a touch
screen. You could get qwerty or dvorak or any of your
choosing, with the letters all drawn on the keyboard in the
right place no matter what keyboard. Type away.

I would prefer to see NeXTStep or some variation if I'm going to buy
a portable from NeXT. NeXTStep would be just dandy on a portable, with
handwriting recognition. I don't think it'd be hard to put a
handwriting recognizer in that would convert letters to keystrokes
before they went to the window server to be dispatched to
applications. (Assuming the recognizing algorithms were already known).

Dan
--
Daniel Mark Gessel
Internet: gessel@cs.swarthmore.edu
I do not speak (nor type) representing Swarthmore College.

waltrip@capd.jhuapl.edu (02/20/91)

In article <GESSEL.91Feb19104930@ilium.cs.swarthmore.edu>,
gessel@ilium.cs.swarthmore.edu (Daniel Mark Gessel) writes:
	[...material deleted...]
> I would prefer to see NeXTStep or some variation if I'm going to buy
> a portable from NeXT. NeXTStep would be just dandy on a portable, with
> handwriting recognition. I don't think it'd be hard to put a
> handwriting recognizer in that would convert letters to keystrokes
> before they went to the window server to be dispatched to
> applications. (Assuming the recognizing algorithms were already known).

	That'd be great if it turns out to be true...and if it turns out to
	be easy to adapt Mach and Display PostScript, etc., to a notebook
	computer.

	But GO has already done the work and, unless the effort to duplicate
	what they've done is trivial, I would regard it as a diversion of
	resources that would probably be better spent on continuing
	development in the directions NeXT has already committed to.  In
	particular, I regard speech recognition as important to desktop
	computers as handwriting recognition is to notebook computers.  And
	NeXTstep is hardly a finished product...and neither is Mach (I would
	still like to see NeXT adopt OSF's OS simply because it would be
	easier to port the NeXTstep environment to a larger number of
	platforms).  In short, NeXT already has a full table.  I suspect they
	would be better off (if they can afford the capital) to give someone
	else their requirements for a (black:^) notebook computer with a
	SCSI interface capable of acting as a hand drawing and writing
	peripheral to a cube or slab and of producing drawing and writing
	objects that are compatible with definitions developed for NeXTstep
	and of processing text and graphic objects produced by NeXTstep.  This
	someone else could produce the notebook computer that NeXT would
	market (though marketing is still not one of their strengths either).

	My essential point is:  no idea is a good one if it diverts or
	dilutes NeXT's efforts from finishing what they've already started.

Internet:  <waltrip@capsrv.jhuapl.edu>

Opinions expressed are my own.

andrew@jhereg.osa.com (Andrew C. Esh) (02/22/91)

I worked for a while in the same office as a guy who was on loan from GO,
and who had a Notebook with him. Quit the unit. They were still working out
a lot of the bugs when I saw it (about June of last year). I played around
with it for a while. The display looks a lot like a Macintosh Portable. The
user interface is a bit more complex, and it misinterpreted a lot of the
strokes, but it responded well to double-taps (Double clicks) and generally
got around okay. There is an external disk drive for it that is a half
height 3 1/2" floppy, which attaches with a ribbon cable. It will make a
great field machine, because it feels like an inch thick clipboard, and
operates about the same.

In a few years, the third or fourth generation of this concept will
definitely be the "Knowledge Navigator."

--
Andrew C. Esh			andrew@osa.com
Open Systems Architects, Inc.