[comp.sys.next] 2.0 bug

charlie@wam.umd.edu (Charles William Fletcher) (02/16/91)

While running three or four other applications (most of them hidden)
I started up the demo FractalTree. Suddenly (boy that 040 is fast isn't it)
as the third window for FT was to come up everything disappeared and I was
logged out. I logged in again and found every thing was fine. I have not
been able to repeat the feat. Has anyone else seen this. Any guesses what
happened? Is this a bug or a "feature" like the 1.0 \\\<Return> logout?

-Charlie

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (02/17/91)

I have seen one other message in this group describing this
phenomenon, and it has also happen to me on several occasions.  It
must be an OS bug(perhaps a setup problem), and a nasty one at that.
Has anyone else been automagically logged out?

-Mike

uskmg@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Guyton {EUCC}) (02/17/91)

In article <432G31*o@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>I have seen one other message in this group describing this
>phenomenon, and it has also happen to me on several occasions.  It
>must be an OS bug(perhaps a setup problem), and a nasty one at that.
>Has anyone else been automagically logged out?
>
>-Mike

There was one occasion when, everytime I typed a key while in the
browser (``File Viewer'' now?), my session went *instantly* to the
logon screen.  (Normally the filename-matching panel would pop up).
This behavior was repeatable everytime I logged back on.  This was
either on a NeXTcube 030 running 2.0 or on a NeXTstation with 2.0.  (I
wasn't keeping careful notes at the time).

The problem went away (I think after a reboot) and has never occurred
again.

--
Ken Guyton          | uskmg@unix.cc.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | ...gatech!emoryu1!uskmg          UUCP

gessel@ilium.cs.swarthmore.edu (Daniel Mark Gessel) (02/20/91)

This is the window server dying and restarting, I'm pretty sure. I've
had similar problems when sending rude postscript through YAP. I'm
trying to remember exactly what I was doing. I think it was in a for
loop, and I ended up scaling by 1.0/loopvariable, and the loopvariable
went through 0. I think that killed the window server (and I can see
why, it'd take a while to draw anything with that scaling).

Dan
--
Daniel Mark Gessel
Internet: gessel@cs.swarthmore.edu

datran2 (02/20/91)

In article <GESSEL.91Feb19102343@ilium.cs.swarthmore.edu> gessel@ilium.cs.swarthmore.edu (Daniel Mark Gessel) writes:
>This is the window server dying and restarting, I'm pretty sure. I've
>had similar problems when sending rude postscript through YAP. I'm
>trying to remember exactly what I was doing. I think it was in a for
>loop, and I ended up scaling by 1.0/loopvariable, and the loopvariable
>went through 0. I think that killed the window server (and I can see
>why, it'd take a while to draw anything with that scaling).

I had the same reaction when I tried to display postscript that had
an object scaled to 0.  This took a while to track down, because the
window server didn't die until I quit Preview.  Also this is old data
from 1.0.  I don't know if the same is true of 2.0.  It seems to me
that an application such as Preview or Yap should not be able to kill
the window server.  Perhaps this is a practical impossibility, but
is an ideal to strive for.

Steve.

--
 #====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#
 #  Steve Boker           #  "Badgers, we don't have no stinking badgers"   #

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (02/20/91)

In article <432G31*o@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>I have seen one other message in this group describing this
>phenomenon, and it has also happen to me on several occasions.  It
>must be an OS bug(perhaps a setup problem), and a nasty one at that.
>Has anyone else been automagically logged out?

The phenomenon of getting "automagically logged out" usually means
that the window server died.  The window server is basically the
PostScript interpreter.  Evidently there are still some conditions
(PostScript errors) that can cause the window server to crash.  It's
not really an OS problem (the OS doesn't crash), and the only reason
you're "logged out" is that all of your processes quit when the window
server quits.  You may notice messages in the log file that say
something like "Exiting due to window server death".

Anyway, I've had the window server crash during software development
work when I'm pushing things, and sometimes when I've got hundreds of
fonts loaded, but I can't seem to find a repeatable sequence that will
crash it.  Sigh.

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		NeXT/PostScript developers

mike@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Michael S. Mahoney) (02/23/91)

In article <432G31*o@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>I have seen one other message in this group describing this
>phenomenon, and it has also happen to me on several occasions.  It
>must be an OS bug(perhaps a setup problem), and a nasty one at that.
>Has anyone else been automagically logged out?
>
>-Mike

It has happened to me a couple of times.  /usr/adm/messages reported a
failure in the DPS server, which then provoked a sequence of windowserver
failures and shutdowns including logoff.  It seemed to occur when
switching applications very quickly.

Mike