[comp.sys.next] unwanted Terminal shutdown

petcher@wuphys.wustl.edu (Donald N. Petcher) (02/22/91)

I recently got a NeXT slab for my daily workstation, and I must say
I have been very pleased in general.  However there is one annoying
thing about which I would like to ask about a way to prevent.
The generic way of exiting a program is to use Command-q.  Since I
primarily work in csh running under Terminal, I use this normally when I
jump out to look something up in the manual or so.  However,
occasionally I don't notice that the Terminal program is the 'current'
program (meaning the one governed by the active menu - I haven't yet
learned 'NeXTese' so I don't know if this is correct parlance) and I hit
Command-q intending to close up some other program, and ALL MY csh
PROCESSES GET KILLED without so much as an inquiry.  Is there a flag to
set that at least allows this to be vetoed when I make a mistake? It has
happened a little too often to be just annoying.

thanks,
Don Petcher
petcher@wuphys.wustl.edu
petcher@ebenezer.wustl.edu

mdixon@parc.xerox.com (Mike Dixon) (02/24/91)

    ... and I hit Command-q intending to close up some other program, and
    ALL MY csh PROCESSES GET KILLED without so much as an inquiry.  Is
    there a flag to set that at least allows this to be vetoed when I make
    a mistake?

your best choice is to dump Terminal and get Scott Hess's Stuart
(shareware at all the archives).  it fixes this and a few zillion
other problems with Terminal.

(alternatively, if you really can't afford the small amount of $$
asked for Stuart, you could probably use the recently-posted nib
extractor to pull Terminal's menu and remove the command-key
equivalent for 'Quit'.)
--

                                             .mike.

ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu (Doug DeJulio) (02/24/91)

In article <1991Feb22.004254.11244@wuphys.wustl.edu>
 petcher@wuphys.UUCP (Donald N. Petcher) writes:
>The generic way of exiting a program is to use Command-q.  Since I
>primarily work in csh running under Terminal, I use this normally when I
>jump out to look something up in the manual or so.  However,
>occasionally I don't notice that the Terminal program is the 'current'
>program (meaning the one governed by the active menu - I haven't yet
>learned 'NeXTese' so I don't know if this is correct parlance) and I hit
>Command-q intending to close up some other program, and ALL MY csh
>PROCESSES GET KILLED without so much as an inquiry.  Is there a flag to
>set that at least allows this to be vetoed when I make a mistake? It has
>happened a little too often to be just annoying.

My solution was to use one of the many NIB file extracting/combining
tools to make a new version of terminal (/LocalApps/MyTerm on my
machine), and just remove the little 'q' from the quit option in the
main menu.  Works like a charm.
--
DdJ
ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu