[comp.sys.next] disktab entries

nwc@asp.shearson.com (Nick Christopher) (02/13/91)

I remember hearing of a program called scsimodes (?) that would probe a disk on
your scsi bus and give you back a disktab entry. Does it exist? If its not too
big could someone mail me a copy?

--
 \n
 	Nicholas Christopher (212) 464-3837

drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) (02/16/91)

nwc@asp.shearson.com (Nick Christopher) writes:

> I remember hearing of a program called scsimodes (?) that would probe a disk
> your scsi bus and give you back a disktab entry. Does it exist? If its not to
> big could someone mail me a copy?
>
> --
>  \n

I believe the program you're talking about is called SCSI Inquirer (the
latest version I saw is version 1.1). Unfortunately, it doesn't work
under 2.0 (or so it seems). It hung my slab when I tried it...

-drin

cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) (02/16/91)

In article <a2iFX1w163w@ersys.uucp> ersys!drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) writes:

   nwc@asp.shearson.com (Nick Christopher) writes:

   > I remember hearing of a program called scsimodes (?) that would probe a disk
   > your scsi bus and give you back a disktab entry. Does it exist? If its not to
   > big could someone mail me a copy?
   >
   > --
   >  \n

   I believe the program you're talking about is called SCSI Inquirer (the
   latest version I saw is version 1.1). Unfortunately, it doesn't work
   under 2.0 (or so it seems). It hung my slab when I tried it...

ok, folks. try this. enter
	ls /usr/etc/scsimodes
next, enter
	/usr/etc/scsimodes
and now you know all about it, since there are no man pages or entries
in the NeXTdocs for scsimodes.

good hunting!
--
  The opinions expressed herein are mine and are in no way attributed
  to any of the many people for whom I work. Who they are is irrelevant.

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (02/16/91)

In article <a2iFX1w163w@ersys.uucp> ersys!drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) writes:
>nwc@asp.shearson.com (Nick Christopher) writes:
>

>> I remember hearing of a program called scsimodes (?) that would probe a disk
>> your scsi bus and give you back a disktab entry. Does it exist? If its not to
>> big could someone mail me a copy?
>>
>> --
>>  \n
>
>I believe the program you're talking about is called SCSI Inquirer (the
>latest version I saw is version 1.1). Unfortunately, it doesn't work
>under 2.0 (or so it seems). It hung my slab when I tried it...
>
>-drin

    I wrote SCSI Inquirer. Yes, it works on 2.0 (if you set it SETUID root,
as always, so it can access sg (4)).  SCSI Inquirer will only give short
descriptions (and SCSI ID) numbers of devices on the bus. It will not
attempt to do any decoding of high level info such as is necessary for
disktab info. It is a good way to break SCSI ID conflicts, though. It is
avaiable from cs.orst.edu and nova.cc.purdue.edu.
    But no, this is not what Nick wants. What Nick wants is already on his
machine, it is in:
	/usr/etc/scsimodes
    You should be root if you are accessing the mounted scsi disk. (Same
reason Inquirer needs to be root).
    However, this will not give him a full disktab, he will have to
write it himself or use the program recently posted.
    I don't know why he wants to write a disktab unless he is splitting
partitions, 2.0 will usually mount disks automatically.

	- jiro nakamura

--
Jiro Nakamura				uunet!shaman!jiro
Shaman Consulting			(607) 253-0687 VOICE

drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) (02/23/91)

HELP!!! I'm trying to get a Micropolis 1684-07 (330 Meg) drive to
be recognized by my slab. Here are the drive specs, right from
Micropolis:
              Formatted Capacity

  Total Mbytes            --------------- 339.6 -----------------
  Bytes per Sector        ----------------- 512 -----------------
  Sectors per Track       -----------------  54 -----------------

The sectors per track is at 512 bytes/sector, so I cut this in half (27)
to get 1024 byte sectors. It's got 1780 cylinders, and 7 tracks/cylinder.
scsimodes returns the following:

         SCSI information for /dev/rsd1a
Drive type: MICROP 1684-07MB1036511
512 bytes per sector
54 sectors per track
7 tracks per cylinder
1780 cylinder per volume (including spare cylinders)
4 spare sectors per cylinder
7 alternate tracks per volume
664223 usable sectors on volume

I created the following disktab entry -

    #MICROPOLIS1684-07
MICROP-1684-512-ALL|MICROP 1684-07MB1036511:\
        :ty=fixed_rw_scsi:nc#1780:nt#7:ns#27:ss#1024:rm#3600:\
        :fp#160:bp#0:ng#0:gs#0:ga#0:ao#0:\
        :os=odmach:z0#32:z1#96:ro=a:\
        :pa#0:sa#352265:ba#8192:fa#1024:ca#32:da#4096:ra#10:oa=time:\
                :ia:ta=4.3BSD:

This *should* work, but it doesn't!! I can format the drive using
/usr/etc/disk, but I can't initialize it!! I get the following error
(consistently):

  /usr/etc/disk -i /dev/rsd1a
disk name: MICROP 1684-07MB1036511
disk type: fixed_rw_scsi
writing disk label
creating new filesystem on /dev/rsd1a
/usr/etc/newfs -n -v /dev/rsd1a
/etc/mkfs /dev/rsd1a 352265 27 7 8192 1024 32 10 60 4096 t
write error: 352264
wtfs: I/O error
/usr/etc/newfs /dev/rsd1a failed (status 1)

The fact that the write error seems to occur at sector 352264 (I think)
leads me to assume that something is wrong with the sa# parameter in the
entry. I thought this number was the number of available 1024 byte
sectors on the hard drive, but maybe not. I tried using 336900 (assuming
the formatted capacity *is* 336.9 Meg), but nothing seems to work. I then
tried cutting this number down, and then got annoyed and started cutting
it indiscriminately. This obviously isn't working. Does anyone have any
ideas what I can do to correct this?

Thanks,

-drin

drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) (02/25/91)

Thanks to all who replied to my earlier message. I've got four or five
ideas that I can now try in order to get the Micropolis up and running...

Oh, and I'm not sure how the sa# in my original message got to be bigger
than my hard drive. That wasn't how it started out :-)

drin