[comp.sys.next] The Unix story straight

edwardj@microsoft.UUCP (Edward JUNG) (02/14/91)

I think there has been alot of confusion over Unix and Microsoft. This
is largely because many people do not know the history of modern Unix.
I don't like defending Microsoft (it's not my job), but I like mis-
information even less. No sniping here, just the facts.

1. Microsoft's Unix work was licensed to AT&T as part of the
   merge that created SysV. All modern AT&T Unix contain
   Microsoft work and royalties.

2. The derivative Unix for '386, called Xenix, is the best
   selling Unix in the world. (Note I did not say "is the
   best Unix in the world"!)

3. At one time, all Microsoft development was done on Unix.

4. HPFS is a file system that runs on OS/2, and thus is pretty
   comparable to BSD FFS, and yes, it's faster.

5. Although there has been work involving Microsoft applications
   on Unix, this is not to what Gordon was referring.

Also I would like to add (as someone who was closely associated with
Apple before joining the "evil empire") that the "fast and loose"
tricks that Microsoft apps played with the Macintosh were all passed
by Apple's Developer Support at one time. They are very old tricks
that predated Apple's more forward-thinking of today. They did cause
Apple grief when they rev'd the OS, but please recall that it used
to be OK to munge the upper bits on handles (as a matter of fact,
samples of this appeared in Apple's code examples).

Microsoft applications have been 32-bit clean since Apple starting
promoting 32-bit cleanliness. Very few early apps are 32 bit clean.

I have programmed significant projects in nearly every system
from JCL to pure Mach, from Amiga to Sun to Macintosh to NeXT.
I have no doubt whatsoever that the NeXT system is the most
pleasant to program -- bar none. I love it. The advanced product
group at Lotus loves it. Lots of people love it. The NeXT system
is one of the very few that has a real system architecture behind
it.

On the other hand, mod familiarity issues, I enjoy programming
OS/2 more than Unix (although neither is something I'd call
really "pleasant"!) If anyone can get really concrete about
why they like Unix over OS/2 (mod familiarity), then I'd be
interested in knowing so I can feed back such information to
the OS group (via EMAIL, please).

Also, for the last time, you guys will be among the first to know
when Microsoft does anything on the NeXT machine. At this time
there is nothing to say about it. So stop sending me mail about
it.

--
Edward Jung
Microsoft Corp.

My opinions do not reflect any policy of my employer.

sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (02/19/91)

In article <70662@microsoft.UUCP> edwardj@microsoft.UUCP (Edward JUNG) writes:
>2. The derivative Unix for '386, called Xenix, is the best
>   selling Unix in the world. (Note I did not say "is the
>   best Unix in the world"!)

XENIX runs on '286s (well, and xt's, if you want to count them 8-)) as well;
the 286's are the  reasons for the "best selling," I believe.

sef@kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."

bb@shark.cis.ufl.edu (Brian Bartholomew) (02/25/91)

In article <1991Feb18.180523.12409@kithrup.COM> sef@kithrup.COM (Sean
Eric Fagan) writes:

> XENIX runs on '286s (well, and xt's, if you want to count them 8-)) as
> well; the 286's are the reasons for the "best selling," I believe.

----

Actually, the real reason is that quite a few large corperations
(McDonald's Hamburgers, for instance) use a cash register/inventory
system where the "cash registers" are actually terminals driven off a
XENIX system in the back of the store.

--
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo."
Brian Bartholomew	UUCP:       ...gatech!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!bb