[comp.sys.next] hard drive vs. RAM

Martha.Schaefer@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Martha Schaefer) (02/25/91)

About 10 days ago, I posted the following question:

   I'd like to ask people for some free advice. :)  I am the happy owner
   of a cube, recently upgraded to '040 and 2.0, with 8 Mb ram, an OD, and
   a 40 Mb swap disk.  My question is this:  for best performance, am I
   likely to be better off by installing a (at least 210 Mb) hard disk, or
   by adding 4 - 8 Mb of ram?  Actually two questions, the other being:
   If I get the hard disk, what are the specs necessary for it to fit
   inside the cube, and will I have to remove the current swapdisk?

I received several replies which, remarkably, all agreed!  Everyone said I
should get a hard drive first (and more RAM as soon after as I could manage).
Basically, the access time of the optical drive is something like 90 ms, while
hard drives these days are running closer to 15 ms.

I did get a hard drive this week, a 210 Mb Quantum from Alliance Peripheral
Systems (1-800-233-7550).  It formatted to 199 Mb, JUST enough for the system
2.0 extended, and required nothing fancy to install.  It is -much- faster than
the OD.  The price was less than $850.

Thanks again for the info.

--

        Martha Schaefer, Martha.Schaefer@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org
      via The Black Cat's Shack's FidoNet<->Usenet Gateway

garnett@cs.utexas.edu (John William Garnett) (02/25/91)

In article <3674.27C89A26@blkcat.fidonet.org> Martha.Schaefer@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Martha Schaefer) writes:

>I did get a hard drive this week, a 210 Mb Quantum from Alliance Peripheral
>Systems (1-800-233-7550).  It formatted to 199 Mb, JUST enough for the system
>2.0 extended, and required nothing fancy to install.  It is -much- faster than
>the OD.  The price was less than $850.

Hmmm... ~ $850 for 210MB works out to approximately $4 per megabyte.

Has anyone seen any better prices for that size of drive?
People have been quoting prices of ~ $1400 for a 710MB Fujitsu
which works out to $2 per megabyte.  1.7 X the cost for 3.5 X
the storage.  I think I'd better save a little while longer :-).
--
John Garnett
                              University of Texas at Austin