[comp.sys.next] "Can not eject SOME disk" message -HELP!!

roth2@hulaw1.harvard.edu (02/16/91)

About half the time I log out I get a message panel saying "Can't eject some
disk" and I have no Idea why.  This happens without a disk in the floppy
drive (NeXTStation).  Can anyone tell why this is happening or what I
might do to find out?  I am booting of off a 210 MB external Quantum Pro
Drive and am Using the 105MB internal that came with the station as a storage
device.			roth2@hulaw1.harvard.edu

matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb15.174213.58@hulaw1.harvard.edu> roth2@hulaw1.harvard.edu writes:
>About half the time I log out I get a message panel saying "Can't eject some
>disk" and I have no Idea why.  This happens without a disk in the floppy
>drive (NeXTStation).  Can anyone tell why this is happening or what I
>might do to find out?  I am booting of off a 210 MB external Quantum Pro
>Drive and am Using the 105MB internal that came with the station as a storage
>device.			roth2@hulaw1.harvard.edu

Sounds like your disktab file is muffed.  It's trying to eject either the
external or the internal drive, probably the external.  If you do not have it
on your /etc/fstab file (or NetInfo), this could be the cause.  The
autonfsmounter program <believe that's the one> sometimes does this.

As to what a proper entry would look like, well, look at the example for the
105 meg drive.  Might take some fiddling, or someone might have the correct
fstab entry already.
------
Mike Matthews, matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu (NeXT)/matthews@umdd (bitnet)
------
A Lisp programmer knows the value of everything, but the cost of
nothing.
		-- Alan Perlis

dml@esl.com (Denis Lynch) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb15.174213.58@hulaw1.harvard.edu> roth2@hulaw1.harvard.edu writes:

   About half the time I log out I get a message panel saying "Can't eject some
   disk" and I have no Idea why...
   I am booting of off a 210 MB external Quantum Pro
   Drive and am Using the 105MB internal that came with the station as a storage
   device.

I'd guess that what's going on here is NeXT automounting.

When you boot off the 210, the 105 isn't mounted. (Is it in your /private/etc/fstab
on the 210?). Instead, it just sits there as an unmounted SCSI device.

Then, when you log in, the automounter kicks in. It sees an unmounted device
with media. This is just what you'd expect with an OD or floppy, but may
not be just what you'd expect with a hard disk! Anyway, all SCSI devices
and OD's work the same way: when you log in the automounter tries to mount
them, and when you log out anything you mounted tries to get unmounted.

This turns out to be really neat when you buy a new SCSI drive: you just
hook it up, and the automounter discovers the uninitialized drive, just like
it does for OD's. So, just like for OD's, it asks if you'd like it to be
initialized. That's all you need to do to get your new drive up.

Then, if you want to avoid roth's situation, add the hard disk to your fstab.
But of course, only do this if you are planning on always having the drive
there. (A good bet in his case, since it's the internal drive, but maybe
not in all cases.)

Hope that helps,
--Denis Lynch, ESL Inc.