[comp.sys.next] NeXT Developers

walsh@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU (Kevin Walsh) (12/08/88)

This newsgroup was very active immediately following the official
debut of the NeXT machine. I, like many of you wanted one yesterday.
Interestingly, many of the postings seem to be from people who also
wanted the machine yesterday, and have yet to actually experience
the machine in real life.  Are there any developers out there
who can tell us what they are developing?  It would no doubt be
useful to the readers of this group to know who is developing what.
Does anyone know if NeXT is preparing a catalog similiar to Sun's
Catalyst?

We, for example, are interested in any developments in the area
of text and image retrieval for library applications; the ability
to scan articles with reasonably detailed photos and deliver that
data across a network to either another NeXT user, or a user with
a postscript printer. Over time, libraries of scanned articles and
images would come about that reflect our target patrons' needs.
Are such developments currently underway, and if not, would it be
worthwhile to carry out such a development effort ourselves?

kevinc@auvax.UUCP (Kevin "auric" Crocker) (12/10/88)

 Yo netland, and especially NeXT if they get this.  From the
information that we have recieved we have managed to get very confused
as to the ***exact*** initial costs to get into NeXT's.

One story has that they cost ~$6,500 period.
The other story is that you have to buy at least three plus hard disks
plus laserprinter plus a service contract etc.

We would really, ****REALLY*****, like to get the real story from
someone who knows.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already, if so I obviously
missed it.  Send e-mail.  No real reason for cluttering up the net.

Thanks. Kevin
--
Kevin "Auric" Crocker @Athabasca University {alberta ncc}auvax!kevinc

leach@neptune.uucp (Tom Leach) (12/12/88)

In article <801@auvax.UUCP> kevinc@auvax.UUCP (Kevin "auric" Crocker) writes:

> Yo netland, and especially NeXT if they get this.  From the
>information that we have recieved we have managed to get very confused
>as to the ***exact*** initial costs to get into NeXT's.
>
>One story has that they cost ~$6,500 period.
>The other story is that you have to buy at least three plus hard disks
>plus laserprinter plus a service contract etc.
>

>We would really, ****REALLY*****, like to get the real story from
>someone who knows.
>
>Sorry if this has been asked and answered already, if so I obviously
>missed it.  Send e-mail.  No real reason for cluttering up the net.
>
>Thanks. Kevin
>--
>Kevin "Auric" Crocker @Athabasca University {alberta ncc}auvax!kevinc

The 'REAL' story is that it's up to each University to attach on
whatever kind of markup they feel they need, to be able to carry the
cube.
NeXT 'strongly' recommends that you get the extra 330M drive.
I know you can get a cube without the drive (someone here is).

The amount of equipment you buy, and if you get a service contract or
not, is entirely up to the folks you buy a cube from (the Univ, not NeXT)

The best things to do is go to a University that will be (or is thinking
about) carrying NeXT cubes, and see what they say.

Tom Leach

Internet:leach@OCE.ORST.EDU   UUCP:{tektronix, hp-pcd}!orstcs!OCE.ORST.EDU!leach
Middle-of-the-road, man, it stanks.  Let's run over Lionel Richie with a tank.

kevinc@auvax.UUCP (Kevin "auric" Crocker) (12/13/88)

In article <7853@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, leach@neptune.uucp (Tom Leach) writes:
> In article <801@auvax.UUCP> kevinc@auvax.UUCP (Kevin "auric" Crocker) writes:
> >We would really, ****REALLY*****, like to get the real story from
> >someone who knows.
> The 'REAL' story is that it's up to each University to attach on
> whatever kind of markup they feel they need, to be able to carry the
> cube.
> NeXT 'strongly' recommends that you get the extra 330M drive.
> I know you can get a cube without the drive (someone here is).
> The amount of equipment you buy, and if you get a service contract or
> not, is entirely up to the folks you buy a cube from (the Univ, not NeXT)
> The best things to do is go to a University that will be (or is thinking
> about) carrying NeXT cubes, and see what they say.
Tom

You have misunderstood my request, we are the university.  I am not
speaking for myself but for a request for information on how our
university can access the NeXT cube.

Any information would be helpful.

Kevin "Auric" Crocker @Athabasca University {alberta ncc}auvax!kevinc

Damn news feeder: inews!!!

--
Kevin "Auric" Crocker @Athabasca University {alberta ncc}auvax!kevinc

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (12/14/88)

     The idea seems to be that if NeXT wanted your university to receive
machines, they would have so informed you.  It's an invitation-only product.

					John Nagle

jjfeiler@nntp-server.caltech.edu (John Jay Feiler) (02/27/91)

A few questions:  What is involved in being an official NeXT developer?
How much does it cost?  What do you get out of it?  Who should I
contact if I'm interested in becoming one?

	Thanks
		John Feiler

petrilli@geech.ai.mit.edu (Chris Petrilli) (02/27/91)

John Jay Feiler writes:
>A few questions:  What is involved in being an official NeXT developer?
>How much does it cost?  What do you get out of it?  Who should I
>contact if I'm interested in becoming one?

To become a developer is quite simple... just give NeXT a call at
+1 800 848 NeXT, and ask for information on becomming a registered
developer.

As I understand it, the actual process is free, and you will get some
benefits, but to get access to tech support, you must go to the
developers conference, which costs $995 I believe.  According to people
I know at PenCom (developers of CoeXist) it is well worth it.

--

+ Chris Petrilli
| Internet:  petrilli@fsf.ai.mit.edu
+ Insert silly disclaimer drivel here.