[net.auto] Triumph Spitfire

lsm@aluxp.UUCP (larry m. ) (12/07/85)

     My brother recently purchased a '79 Spitfire.  The problem:
     the distance between the bottom of the rear wheels is
     greater than the distance between the top of the rear wheels.
     In fact, it is so bad, he has trouble travelling more than 20
     feet without scraping some part of his exhaust system on the road.
     Rear view of the rear wheels, with EF (exaggeration factor) = 5 :

                          ----                  ----
                         '   '                  `   `
                        '   '                    `   `
                       '   '                      `   `
                      '   '                        `   `
                     '   '                          `   `
                     ----                             ----
                                   R O A D

     I've seen quite a few Spitfire's exhibiting this effect, but none
     as pronounced as the gem my brother has.  Anyone have any idea
     as to the cause of this and/or what the solution entails?

                                              larry m
                                              at&t allentown pa

mcb@hpfcla.UUCP (12/10/85)

Re: Re-arcing leaf springs

> There may be an option other than outright replacement.  Locally, there
> is a blacksmith shop (yes, you read that right) that will 're-arc' leaf
> springs back to their original shape and (hopefully) 'springiness'.
> While I have never used the service myself, I say hopefully because my
> friend who had the rear springs of his '65 mustang re-arced found that
> the rear suspension settled back most of the way in a couple of years.

        I had all 4 leaf springs in my '52 Chevy PU re-arced a couple years
        ago.  I had the shop put in a couple more "leaves" when they did it.
        I think this did the trick for me.  They still have their same shape
        (or at least ~90% of it.)  Remember that even if you do replace the
        springs with new ones, they will lose their poop eventually.  Try and
        get station wagon springs, heavy duty springs or the like.

Mike Berry, ihnp4!hpfcla!mcb

pjs@uw-june (Philip J. Schneider) (12/10/85)

Regarding the Triumph with the canted rear wheels - if you will take a
look under the car (you will likely have to jack it up), you will notice
that the rear axle is not solid.  Rather, it sports universal joints on
either side of the differential, giving the car "independent" rear
suspension.  The entire structure is connected to a single large leaf
spring.  This spring is likely quite worn, since, as it sags, the rear
wheels gradually acquire that angle you mentioned.  The only way to fix
this is to replace the leaf spring.  (This may cost more than the car is
worth, if I know my British auto parts :-) ).

--

  Philip Schneider
  University of Washington Computer Science

ccrse@ucdavis.UUCP (0058) (12/11/85)

> ...The entire structure is connected to a single large leaf
> spring.  This spring is likely quite worn, since, as it sags, the rear
> wheels gradually acquire that angle you mentioned.  The only way to fix
> this is to replace the leaf spring.  (This may cost more than the car is
> worth, if I know my British auto parts :-) ).

There may be an option other than outright replacement.  Locally, there
is a blacksmith shop (yes, you read that right) that will 're-arc' leaf
springs back to their original shape and (hopefully) 'springiness'.
While I have never used the service myself, I say hopefully because my
friend who had the rear springs of his '65 mustang re-arced found that
the rear suspension settled back most of the way in a couple of years.
Still, it would probably be much cheaper than replacement and should
be considered, if available in your area.

fern@polyof.UUCP ( FTG ) (12/12/85)

>      My brother recently purchased a '79 Spitfire.  The problem:
>      the distance between the bottom of the rear wheels is
>      greater than the distance between the top of the rear wheels.
>      In fact, it is so bad, he has trouble travelling more than 20
>      feet without scraping some part of his exhaust system on the road.
>      Rear view of the rear wheels, with EF (exaggeration factor) = 5 :

	The Spitfire has a transverse leaf spring suspension.
As the spring ages it loses some of its down force, so what you
have observed is a nprmal consquence of too low a spring rate. The spring
can be brought back to spec by a spring rebuilder. Look in the yellow pages.

Also if your spring is that bad, you should replace all of the little rubber
encased bushings on the control arms.

When replacing the spring, there are six studs which attach the spring to the
differential, these and the castlated nuts which hold the spring down
MUST BE REPLACED. They will BREAK. This is very bad, particularly in the
middle of a corner. It can change the entire geometry of the car (if enough
break at the same time it can also change the drivers geometry).

				FTG
ps dietz etz

ray@othervax.UUCP (Raymond D. Dunn) (12/12/85)

Spitfire are canted, <177@uw-june> pjs@uw-june (Philip J. Schneider)
writes:

>Regarding the Triumph with the canted rear wheels - if you will take a
>look under the car (you will likely have to jack it up), you will notice
>that the rear axle is not solid.  Rather, it sports universal joints on
>either side of the differential, giving the car "independent" rear
>suspension.  The entire structure is connected to a single large leaf
>...   This spring is likely quite worn, since, as it sags, the rear
>wheels gradually acquire that angle you mentioned....

While I agree that there is obvious wear (or the suspension has been
"lowered" by some idiot) if the car is dragging its bottom, it should
be noted that the Spit's rear wheels have significant *negative
camber* designed in (i.e. the wheels are closer together at the top
than at the bottom).  This is similar to, but with a much bigger
angle than, the current Ford Escort.  Never noticed it? - have a
look.

Sorry I cant give technical specs, but it is about 20 years (sigh)
since I drove and maintained a Spitfire.  I waited a few days before
posting in the hope that a current techy would respond.

Ray Dunn.   ..philabs!micomvax!othervax!ray

bill@crystal.UUCP (12/17/85)

> > ...The entire structure is connected to a single large leaf
> > spring.  This spring is likely quite worn, since, as it sags, the rear
> > wheels gradually acquire that angle you mentioned.  The only way to fix
> > this is to replace the leaf spring.  (This may cost more than the car is
> > worth, if I know my British auto parts :-) ).
>
> There may be an option other than outright replacement.  Locally, there
> is a blacksmith shop (yes, you read that right) that will 're-arc' leaf
> springs back to their original shape and (hopefully) 'springiness'.

Another option:  there are shops that add or replace leafs in springs.
Call a local truck equipment dealer and ask who they suggest.  They can
(or at least did in the past) make new springs cheaper than the Dodge
dealership I worked for could get them from Chrysler.  My experience has
been only for trucks, but they were doing some car springs too.

--
	William Cox
	Computer Sciences Department