[comp.sys.next] Mixing C++ and Objective-C

wilson@mimsy.umd.edu (Anne Wilson) (02/28/91)

I am waiting for my 400mb slab to be delivered (yet another delay -
sigh.  And I do *wish* the reps would return my phone calls).  In the
meantime, I'm trying to get prepared so that I can begin coding as
soon as it arrives.

I have about 2000 lines of C++ code written using GNU's g++
compiler.  I'm expecting that code to move right over.  But future
coding should be in Objective-C in order to take advantage of the
machine's software.  My question is this - how freely can C++
and Objective-C be mixed using the new compiler?  Must each
module be distinctly one or the other?  Is there any reason
not to continue coding in C++ while I'm waiting?

Thanks a lot!
Anne

tenny@ootool.dec.com (Dave Tenny) (02/28/91)

In article <30778@mimsy.umd.edu>, wilson@mimsy.umd.edu (Anne Wilson) writes...
>machine's software.  My question is this - how freely can C++
>and Objective-C be mixed using the new compiler?  Must each
>module be distinctly one or the other?  Is there any reason
>not to continue coding in C++ while I'm waiting?

I've used both Objc and cc++ on the NeXT.  The documentation says
that they've modified cc++ to recognize objc constructs, but this is
the one thing I haven't tried yet.  C++ code has no trouble #importing
objc include files.

One gotcha for your app, none of the traditional c++ libraries are on the
Next.  No streams in particular.  So unless you port libg++ yourself,
you'd better plan on using stdio.

Dave

burdick@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Bill Burdick) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Feb28.131834.7323@engage.enet.dec.com> tenny@ootool.dec.com (Dave Tenny) writes:

[deleted]
>One gotcha for your app, none of the traditional c++ libraries are on the
>Next.  No streams in particular.  So unless you port libg++ yourself,
>you'd better plan on using stdio.
>
>Dave

I've got g++ on mine -- it's no big deal to port..
	-- Bill
	burdick@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

burdick@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Bill Burdick) (03/01/91)

That last article (assuming you've already got it...) should have said that
I've got libg++ ported, not g++.
	-- Bill
	burdick@mentor.cc.purdue.edu