[comp.sys.next] Power Switch Disabling?

menelli@sunc7.cs.uiuc.edu (Ron Menelli) (02/28/91)

Here's what I hope is a simple question: How do you disable the power key? I
know that it CAN be done, I just don't know how...

Thanks,
Ron Menelli
menelli@sunc7.cs.uiuc.edu
menelli@sumter.cso.uiuc.edu

pclark@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Peter Clark) (03/01/91)

>Here's what I hope is a simple question: How do you disable the power key? I
>know that it CAN be done, I just don't know how...

As root:

foobar# dwrite loginwindow PowerOffDisabled True

	That ought to do it.

	Pete C

rabe@beowulf.acc.stolaf.edu (brett m rabe; Jiffy Script Inc.) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Feb28.231454.20522@src.honeywell.com> pclark@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Peter Clark) writes:
>>Here's what I hope is a simple question: How do you disable the power key? I
>>know that it CAN be done, I just don't know how...
>
>As root:
>
>foobar# dwrite loginwindow PowerOffDisabled True
>
>	That ought to do it.
>
>	Pete C

A (perhaps) better way to do it would be to add the -PowerOffDisabled True flag
to loginwindow in your /etc/ttys file.  Then you wouldn't have to dwrite every
time your machine is rebooted.  Here's about what your console entry would
look like if you added it:

console "/usr/lib/NextStep/loginwindow -PowerOffDisabled True" NeXT     on secure window=/usr/lib/NextStep/WindowServer onoption="/usr/etc/getty std.9600"

(Sorry about the +80 column line. . . )

There are other options available, I believe they're explained somewhere
in the documentation....

brett

brett michael rabe: Phone-> 507/645-9387 Snailmail: Brett M. Rabe
 brabe@carleton.edu   bmr@geech.ai.mit.edu          100 N. Lincoln
 rabe@acc.stolaf.edu                                Northfield, MN 55057 USA

matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (03/02/91)

In article <1991Mar1.144246.24584@news.stolaf.edu> rabe@beowulf.acc.stolaf.edu.stolaf.edu (brett m rabe; Jiffy Script Inc.) writes:
[stuff deleted]
>A (perhaps) better way to do it would be to add the -PowerOffDisabled True flag
>to loginwindow in your /etc/ttys file.  Then you wouldn't have to dwrite every
>time your machine is rebooted.  Here's about what your console entry would
>look like if you added it:
[stuff deleted]

I did one dwrite that stuck.  Perhaps if you don't do it as root it won't
stay around?

And, trust me, I've done a whole lotta reboots...

>brett
------
Mike Matthews, matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu (NeXT)/matthews@umdd (bitnet)
------
Tussman's Law:
	Nothing is as inevitable as a mistake whose time has come.

pclark@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Peter Clark) (03/02/91)

>A (perhaps) better way to do it would be to add the -PowerOffDisabled True flag
>to loginwindow in your /etc/ttys file.  Then you wouldn't have to dwrite every
>time your machine is rebooted.  Here's about what your console entry would

I think the two methods are probably equivalent. I've never had to do the
dwrite more than once- it's preserved across reboots.

	Pete