[comp.sys.next] Correction to FAQ

garnett@cs.utexas.edu (John William Garnett) (03/02/91)

This post is a correction to the FAQ answer on the question on
putting an 030 and 040 in the same cube.  We [because of
a miscommunication] inadvertantly attributed an action to the
person who posted the article describing the action rather than
to the person who performed the action.  First it would seem to
be appropriate to repost the disclaimer :-).

]The information contained in this post is a compilation of answers to
]questions posted by participants in the comp.sys.next USENET group.
]No guarantees are made regarding the correctness of these responses.
]This will get posted to comp.sys.next about every other week.  There
]is currently no particular order to this list, items get added and
]removed over time.

Here is an excerpt from the answer in question:

]  Some have asked about the possibility of installing the 030 board
]  for use as a printserver or other CPU-intensive task server.  In this
]  hypothetical setup, each CPU would run its own copy of the operating
]  system (essentially two different computers sharing the same cube).
]
]  This might be workable except for the fact that even if the NBIC
]  (NextBus Interface Chip) chip is removed, the CPU board probes the
]  bus for slot ID

Here is the portion being corrected:

[**a conflicting report comes from Richard Dib who
  states that he ran his cube with the CPU in another slot].

Here is an excerpt from the actual report being referred to:

]From: cafe@cbnewse.att.com (richard.dib)
]Newsgroups: comp.sys.next
]Subject: Re: 030/040 Duality?
]Date: 25 Feb 91 02:25:05 GMT
]
]I Just got this from somebody by email ...
]I DID NOT WRITE THE FOLLOWING LINES!

]The best solution I've come up with is to place the 030 board in
]another slot and not buy a NBIC for it.  I have moved my current
]030 board to another slot temporarily, and it seemed to work, so
]I don't anticipate any problems there.  Then, I'll get my 040 board
]and network the two via thin Ethernet.

--
John Garnett
                              University of Texas at Austin