[comp.sys.next] SLIP

chavez@sumex-aim.stanford.edu (R. Martin Chavez) (10/24/89)

Is SLIP (serial line IP) available for the NeXT machine?

Regards,
R. Martin Chavez
Stanford University School of Medicine

brad@advantg (10/06/90)

Does anyone know where I can get information about setting SLIP
up on the NeXT? Has anyone done it?

Thanks
Brad Kollmyer
advantg!brad@wimsey.bc.ca

memphis (Ronald V. Simmons) (11/09/90)

I know that this has been asked before, but before I didn't need
it, so I paid no attention. At any rate:

Does anyone know if or where SLIP can be obtained for the cube?

and you'll only waste my bandwidth and yours, not the whole
net's.

Eric.Thayer@cs.cmu.edu (Eric H. Thayer) (11/09/90)

There exists an implementation of Dial IP that CSNET/NeXT has hold of but
it is mired down in such a morass of finger pointing so convoluted it may
be impossible to every get it loose.  It's a shame but it's the way it is.

----------------------------------
Replies can have NeXT attachments in them
Phone: (412)268-7679

stan@toaster.SFSU.EDU (Stan Osborne) (11/14/90)

In article <11081@pt.cs.cmu.edu> cmaeda@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Christopher Maeda) writes:
>order an upgrade board and get my home ethernet set up.  My old ibm-pc
>has been earmarked as a slip-to-thinnet router.  What fun!

Is it not obvious to everyone, including NeXT that the only cost
effective way for people to put their home on the Internet (or any net)
is to use SLIP?  (Serial Line Internet Protocol)

We have students and faculty who want to buy a NeXT for use at home.
At least for the faculty, and possibly for the students, we are planning
to provide dial-in SLIP support.  The fact NeXT is still unwilling to
support SLIP (or make it easily available), puts a damper on our
ability to recommend NeXTs for home use.

It is both silly and unecessary for people to need a PC at home to
be the slip-to-thinnet router.

(Using SLIP to put a machine at home on your Net at work or school
means you can use sendmail, telnet, ftp, talk, etc. over a dial-up
link from home.  No more UUCP store and forward.   Give the type
of modems you can anywhere from slow to reasonable line speeds.
The most important feature, is that it works even if it may be slow.)

Why has NeXT hemmed and hawed over the issue of supporting
SLIP?  If there was a technical problem a year ago, (when they
said they had it working but were not releasing it,) they have
now had more than enough time to fix it.  SLIP is available
for Sun Workstations, PCs, and rumored to be available on
MacIIs.  Will NeXT catch on that some its customers really
need SLIP?

Stan

--
Stan Osborne, Computer Science Department, San Francisco State University
Internet: stan@cs.sfsu.edu    Usenet: cshub!stan    Voice: (415) 338-2168

anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu (Stephen R. Anderson) (11/14/90)

Yes indeed. Why no SLIP? That's the one advantage a Mac with A/UX has
- all you need to do is tell the kernel to do SLIP, and even the
minimal documentation Apple provides is adequate to get it set up.

I've dumped my Mac for a NeXT as the machine to use at home, but I'm
REALLY unhappy about this. And to be concrete (i.e., to say something
relevant to sales....) at least two of my colleagues would be happy to
get a NeXT as their home machine if I could convince them they could
put it on the net over their modems.

Steve Anderson

dcarpent@sjuphil.uucp (D. Carpenter) (11/14/90)

In article <1017@toaster.SFSU.EDU> stan@toaster.SFSU.EDU (Stan Osborne) writes:
>Is it not obvious to everyone, including NeXT that the only cost
>effective way for people to put their home on the Internet (or any net)
>is to use SLIP?  (Serial Line Internet Protocol)
>
>We have students and faculty who want to buy a NeXT for use at home.
>At least for the faculty, and possibly for the students, we are planning
>to provide dial-in SLIP support.  The fact NeXT is still unwilling to
>support SLIP (or make it easily available), puts a damper on our
>ability to recommend NeXTs for home use.
>
>It is both silly and unecessary for people to need a PC at home to
>be the slip-to-thinnet router.

I just want to add my voice in support of what is being said here.
I have had a NeXT at home for over a year, and I teach at a school
with a campus ethernet network.  Why CAN'T NeXT support SLIP?????
It's been asked for over and over and over for the last year or two,
and there are obviously people who need it, probably quite a few, and
the number is obviously growing.  Are those of us who happen to do
much of our work at home to be left our of the "interpersonal computing
of the '90s" that Jobs talks so much about?  I asked several people from
NeXT about this at Educom in October and got several different answers
from several different people, but the bottom line seemed to be that
NeXT had no plans of supporting SLIP.  Why not???  What's the big
problem???

David Carpenter            dcarpent@sjuphil.UUCP
St. Joseph's University    dcarpent@sjuphil.sju.edu
Philadelphia, PA  19131

pbiron@weber.ucsd.edu (Paul Biron) (11/15/90)

In article <1017@toaster.SFSU.EDU> stan@toaster.SFSU.EDU (Stan Osborne) writes:
>In article <11081@pt.cs.cmu.edu> cmaeda@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Christopher Maeda) writes:
>>order an upgrade board and get my home ethernet set up.  My old ibm-pc
>>has been earmarked as a slip-to-thinnet router.  What fun!
>>

>Is it not obvious to everyone, including NeXT that the only cost
>effective way for people to put their home on the Internet (or any net)
>is to use SLIP?  (Serial Line Internet Protocol)

[stuff deleted]

>to provide dial-in SLIP support.  The fact NeXT is still unwilling to
>support SLIP (or make it easily available), puts a damper on our
>ability to recommend NeXTs for home use.

[stuff deleted]

>MacIIs.  Will NeXT catch on that some its customers really
>need SLIP?
>
>Stan
>
>--
>Stan Osborne, Computer Science Department, San Francisco State University
>Internet: stan@cs.sfsu.edu    Usenet: cshub!stan    Voice: (415) 338-2168

After hounding the local NeXT tech support guy, he finally pointed
me at a site which has a slip which "is supposed to work under 1.0".
He stressed the fact that this slip IS NOT a NeXT product, and
IS NOT supported by NeXT, IS NOT foo, and WILL NOT bar, etc, etc, etc :-)

The site is 129.18.18.3 (sorry don't know the "name" of the machine).
Annonymous ftp there and grab it.  I did a few days ago.

Unfourtunately, its a binary only copy, no docs, etc.  So, I haven't
gotten it installed yet (I went and grabbed cslip from a local machine
and am purusing the docs for that before I install the binary).

Hope this helps,

Paul Biron      pbiron@ucsd.edu        (619) 534-5758
Central University Library, Mail Code C-075-R
Social Sciences DataBase Project
University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, Ca. 92093

fausett@ra.radc.af.mil (Mark L. Fausett) (11/15/90)

In <4026@network.ucsd.edu> pbiron@weber.ucsd.edu (Paul Biron) writes:

>>>MUCHO STUFF DELETED<<<

>After hounding the local NeXT tech support guy, he finally pointed
>me at a site which has a slip which "is supposed to work under 1.0".
>He stressed the fact that this slip IS NOT a NeXT product, and
>IS NOT supported by NeXT, IS NOT foo, and WILL NOT bar, etc, etc, etc :-)

>The site is 129.18.18.3 (sorry don't know the "name" of the machine).

And apparently there is no way to get it from the domain name system.
From the FTP banner, it appears to be a next though...

>Annonymous ftp there and grab it.  I did a few days ago.

>>>INSERT DELETION HERE<<<

Out of curiosity I did some poking around trying to track down this machine -
It's network number is registered as:

129.18.rrr.rrr                   NEXT-NET               Connected

and indeed a traceroute led to NEXT.BARRNET.NET before machines became
uncooperative.

Could this be some indication of future SLIP support?

Mark Fausett
fausett@aivax.radc.af.mil
(& if my check gets to businessland in time, a Next Cube owner)

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (11/15/90)

In article <ANDERSON.90Nov13195236@sapir.cog.jhu.edu> anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu (Stephen R. Anderson) writes:
   Why no SLIP?

Because SLIP (RFC1055/1144) has been obsoleted by PPP (RFC1171/1172),
and NeXT had bigger things to worry about with 2.0 than including new
support for quaint protocols.  Nobody should bother putting the effort
into a new SLIP port these days, but rather should concentrate on a
solid PPP implementation.

   I'm REALLY unhappy about this... at least two of my colleagues
   would be happy to get a NeXT as their home machine if I could
   convince them they could put it on the net over their modems.

You can get implementations of SLIP and PPP via anonymous FTP, but
they'll need some work for a NeXT port.  There certainly seems to be
plenty of demand...

dd26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas F. DeJulio) (11/16/90)

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
> Nobody should bother putting the effort into a new SLIP port these
> days, but rather should concentrate on a solid PPP implementation.

Except, there are lots of SLIP servers available right now, and I
haven't found this to be true of PPP yet.  I'll have control of the
software on my NeXT, but I won't have any control of the software
running on the server I connect to -- I must take what is given.

Personally, I'll use a PC to route until somone else gets CSLIP
running on the NeXT.
--
Doug DeJulio
dd26@andrew.cmu.edu

mfi@serc.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (11/17/90)

In article <BOB.90Nov15104659@volitans.MorningStar.Com> bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
>In article <ANDERSON.90Nov13195236@sapir.cog.jhu.edu> anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu (Stephen R. Anderson) writes:
>   Why no SLIP?
>
>Because SLIP (RFC1055/1144) has been obsoleted by PPP (RFC1171/1172),

Is PPP compatable with SLIP and  what does it do better?

Mark Interrante   		  Software Engineering Research Center
mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu		  CIS Department, University of Florida 32611
Quote from a west Texas farmer  "status quo is Latin for the mess we're in."

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (11/27/90)

Does anybody have a version of SLIP or PPP with SLFP (Serial Line Framing
Protocol) support in it?  Merit (perhaps the ugliest network in the world 8-)
does SLFP.
			Thanks, Ralph

Ralph Seguin			gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu
536 South Forest Apt. #915	gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu
Ann Arbor, MI 48104		(313) 662-4805

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (11/27/90)

In article <1990Nov26.162533.5418@engin.umich.edu> gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
   Does anybody have a version of SLIP or PPP with SLFP (Serial Line
   Framing Protocol) support in it?  Merit ... does SLFP.

Is SLFP HDLC?  If not, is SLFP documented in a readily-accessible
place?  RFC1171 (section 3) specifies that PPP uses HDLC-style framing
unless LCP negotiates otherwise.  Is it PPP if it's not basically
HDLC?

cyliao@hardy.u.washington.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (12/10/90)

Has anybody got their CuBE 1.0 running DialUpIP and successfully got
connected to school's network?  How do I use DialUpIP anyway? I am pretty
sure about installation, but there's no doc about how do I use it,and I
have no experience at all with slip (not even slattach)

Thanx in advance.

cyliao@hardy.u.washington.edu   o Q. Who am I?
				o A. A NeXTed person with "small" HD and OD
     I am "homeless"!?		o    An Apple // guy
	(No Kidding)		o    A plane pilot (by hope)

carlton@aldebaran.berkeley.edu (Mike Carlton) (03/02/91)

Can anyone tell me where to get SLIP?  I know the FAQ says it is being
worked on, but I'd like to use it now.  Is there a good set of sources
that I can port?

I've looked at Dialup2.0 from bbn.com, but that is overkill for my needs.
I've got a hardwired line to a Sun workstation and don't need any kind
of dialup support.  I'd be happy with a simple set of sources that will
run SLIP over a dedicated line.

Thanks.

Cheers,
--mike
Mike Carlton	carlton@cs.berkeley.edu

go09+@andrew.cmu.edu (Graham S. Orndorff) (03/02/91)

Mike Carlton writes:
>Can anyone tell me where to get SLIP?  I know the FAQ says it is being
>worked on, but I'd like to use it now.  Is there a good set of sources
>that I can port?
>
>I've looked at Dialup2.0 from bbn.com, but that is overkill for my needs.
>I've got a hardwired line to a Sun workstation and don't need any kind
>of dialup support.  I'd be happy with a simple set of sources that will
>run SLIP over a dedicated line.

Marble Associates in Cambridge MA at 617-891-5555 is
working on productizing SLIP and to call them for more
details.

-graham