[comp.sys.next] silly cables

weigele@bosun1.informatik.uni-hamburg.de (Martin Weigele) (02/14/91)

After eventually having reached the buy decision, I am now in the
business of having to deal with silly cable standards of the new
otherwise much more reasonable machines (i.e., non-standards).

The name SCSI-2 to SCSI-1 doesn't mean much to most hardware shops.
I was even told the name is ill-chosen, because these standards do not
specify the connectors(?) or at least not the NeXt ones.
The NeXT documentation gives the wiring but does not state which
exactly are the norm names of the connectors, for making ones own cable.
My dealer can't get any cables, apparently a widespread experience.

Other manufacturers' names or connector specifications anyone?
The easy one seems Centronics(?).

A similar story are the serial connectors. Apparently Macintosh
cables might work. Has anyone verified this? Even though one can sometimes
get Mini-DIN-8 connectors, it would be nicer to have a manufactured
cable because these tiny connectors make soldering unpleasant.

Martin

madler@pooh.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (02/15/91)

>> The name SCSI-2 to SCSI-1 doesn't mean much to most hardware shops.

The name "Sparc" does, which uses that same connector (I suppose it was
chosen for its small size).

>> A similar story are the serial connectors. Apparently Macintosh
>> cables might work. Has anyone verified this?

If you just want ground, serial in and serial out, any Mac serial cable
will do.

If you want modem control for dial-in (DTR and DCD wired correctly), then
some Mac serial cables will work.  Check against the zs(4) man page for
DIN pins 1 through 5 wired as listed.

If you want modem control and hardware flow control, then *no* Mac serial
cable will work.  Wire your own as per zs(4) (DIN pins 1-6 and 8), or wait
for NeXTconnection to get them in stock ((800)800-NEXT).  I got the
impression from them that it would be a while.

Mark Adler
madler@pooh.caltech.edu

cs4ed3ap@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Tyldesley A) (02/21/91)

>If you want modem control and hardware flow control, then *no* Mac serial
>cable will work.  Wire your own as per zs(4) (DIN pins 1-6 and 8), or wait
>for NeXTconnection to get them in stock ((800)800-NEXT).  I got the
>impression from them that it would be a while.
>
>Mark Adler
>madler@pooh.caltech.edu

This is partially true, no off the shelf mac modem cable seems to be wired
for RTS/CTS. The trick though is, an imagewriter 2 cable has all 8 pins wired
through. I bought one of these for 15 bucks (note: all prices Canadian you
should be able to get it for less in the US) then stopped by at Radio Shack
and got a DB-25 end kit for 6 bucks. It works fine, the only dealer I found
that had a modem cable that supported flow control wanted $60 for it! By the
way you can make 2 cables doing it this way since the cable has minidin-8's
on both ends.

Andrew

madler@kanga.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (02/23/91)

Andrew Tyldesley writes:
>> the only dealer I found
>> that had a modem cable that supported flow control wanted $60 for it!
when he was looking for a serial cable for the NeXT with RTS, CTS, and
everything else properly wired.

NeXTconnection (800)800-NEXT sells them for $19, which is almost reasonable.
The ones they have now are gray, but they'll be getting black ones soon.

I did the same thing Andrew did, which was find some cheap Mac serial
cables (I got some at an Egghead Clearance Store for $5 each), cut the
end off, and wired my own DB-25.  When you do that, it doesn't matter
how the cable used to wired, of course.

Mark Adler
madler@pooh.caltech.edu

datran2 (02/23/91)

In article <27C2E5DE.6775@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> cs4ed3ap@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Tyldesley     A) writes:
>>If you want modem control and hardware flow control, then *no* Mac serial
>>cable will work.  Wire your own as per zs(4) (DIN pins 1-6 and 8), or wait
>>for NeXTconnection to get them in stock ((800)800-NEXT).  I got the
>>impression from them that it would be a while.

Thats odd.  I just bought two.  They had some local outfit making them
up.  A very professional job with a molded end DIN for $28 and they
shipped in two days.  It was grey 8^( which might displease purists,
but I keep the cables out of sight anyway.

Steve

--
 #====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#
 #  Steve Boker           #  "Badgers, we don't have no stinking badgers"   #

cs4ed3ap@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Tyldesley A) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Feb22.170758.2792@csn.org!datran2> smb@csn.org!datran2 writes:
>In article <27C2E5DE.6775@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> cs4ed3ap@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Tyldesley     A) writes:
>>>If you want modem control and hardware flow control, then *no* Mac serial
>>>cable will work.  Wire your own as per zs(4) (DIN pins 1-6 and 8), or wait
>>>for NeXTconnection to get them in stock ((800)800-NEXT).  I got the
>>>impression from them that it would be a while.
>
>Thats odd.  I just bought two.  They had some local outfit making them
>up.  A very professional job with a molded end DIN for $28 and they
>shipped in two days.  It was grey 8^( which might displease purists,
>but I keep the cables out of sight anyway.
>
>Steve

Hey, hold on here Steve. Some how my name has gotten associated with someone
elses words. I didn't write any of the above. My posting stated the opposite
explaining how one could use an Imagewriter 2 cable to make two hardware
flow control capable modem cables.

Andrew

ogawa@orion.arc.nasa.gov (Arthur Ogawa) (03/02/91)

In article <27CD581B.12634@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> cs4ed3ap@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Tyldesley     A) writes:
> [...]

I believe there is an innaccuracy here. There _IS_ a cable for Mac that
supports hardware flow control: it is made by Hayes. I'm using one right now
with my T2500 ;-) And it does provide for hardware flow control.
Presumably there are other cables that do this as well.