[comp.sys.next] 3d party optical disk drives

rit@killdeer.Stanford.EDU (Jean-Francois Rit) (03/01/91)

[I don't think the first attempt made it, I apologize if you saw this already]

I am considering buying a Next slab and I have benn following with much
interest the ongoing threads about 3d party peripherals.

What about 3d party optical disks? They're SCSI aren't they? Is there a reason
why they would be harder to install than, say, Syquest drives? Would the
formatting utilities work on those? Did anybody try?

I am especially thinking about $3000 600M drives you can find advertised in
the Mac litterature, like Sony and RICOH drives.

J-F Rit

yonezawa@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Noritake Yonezawa) (03/01/91)

rit@killdeer.Stanford.EDU (Jean-Francois Rit) writes:

>I am considering buying a Next slab and I have benn following with much
>interest the ongoing threads about 3d party peripherals.

>What about 3d party optical disks? They're SCSI aren't they? Is there a reason
>why they would be harder to install than, say, Syquest drives? Would the
>formatting utilities work on those? Did anybody try?

Additional questions:

     - Are there any 3rd party external ODDs compatible with NeXT 256mb ODDs?
     - Isn't NeXT or Canon providing external ODDs for slabs?

--
Noritake Yonezawa [yonezawa@cs.uiuc.edu]
Department of Computer Science

bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) (03/02/91)

In article <1991Mar1.052809.6664@m.cs.uiuc.edu> yonezawa@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Noritake Yonezawa) writes:
>rit@killdeer.Stanford.EDU (Jean-Francois Rit) writes:
>
>>I am considering buying a Next slab and I have benn following with much
>>interest the ongoing threads about 3d party peripherals.
>
>>What about 3d party optical disks? They're SCSI aren't they? Is there a reason
>>why they would be harder to install than, say, Syquest drives? Would the
>>formatting utilities work on those? Did anybody try?
>
>Additional questions:
>
>     - Are there any 3rd party external ODDs compatible with NeXT 256mb ODDs?

     All the other manufacturers use formats that fit more onto a disk.

>     - Isn't NeXT or Canon providing external ODDs for slabs?

     Are you serious?  NeXT and Canon aren't even providing optical disks.
Why would you want them to provide external optical drives?

>--
>Noritake Yonezawa [yonezawa@cs.uiuc.edu]
>Department of Computer Science
>University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
                                  Systems Programming
                                  Northern Illinois University
                                  DeKalb, Illinois 60115
* Internet:       bennett@cs.niu.edu                                 *
* BITNET:         A01SJB1@NIU                                        *
*  "WAR is the HEALTH of the STATE"  --Albert Jay Nock (I think:-)   *

yonezawa@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Noritake Yonezawa) (03/03/91)

bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) writes:

>In article <1991Mar1.052809.6664@m.cs.uiuc.edu> yonezawa@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Noritake Yonezawa) writes:

>>     - Isn't NeXT or Canon providing external ODDs for slabs?

>     Are you serious?  NeXT and Canon aren't even providing optical disks.
>Why would you want them to provide external optical drives?

NeXT should be responsible to slab users for the availability of external ODDs.
I think optical drives are still great medium as archives.