[comp.sys.next] NextMail problems - HELP!

roth2@hulaw1.harvard.edu (03/03/91)

I'm having two problems with the NextMail app. (1) When mail comes after I poll
my uucp host the icon envelop fails to fan out indicating that mail has been
received.  This is the case regardless of how long I wait, and the account is
set up to check every five minutes to see if there is any mail qued and
waiting.
 (2) When I delete entries from the mailbox the space is not reclaimed on the
 hard drive.  Neither quitting the app or rebooting helps.  If destroy the
 mailboxes however, the space is immediately reclaimed.  What's the deal here??
 this seems like awfully weird stuff.  When I set up my uucp host a few weeks
 ago neither of these phenomena occurred.  They just seemed to appear out of
the
 blue -- though I'm sure as with everything there is an answer!

	I'd greatly appreciate any help or suggestions.

	Thank you all in advance.

Send NextMail to:

<tony%cyrano@merk.com> or

<...!uunet!merk!cyrano!tony>

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (03/04/91)

In article <1991Mar2.194319.188@hulaw1.harvard.edu> roth2@hulaw1.harvard.edu writes:
>I'm having two problems with the NextMail app. (1) When mail comes after I poll
>my uucp host the icon envelop fails to fan out indicating that mail has been
>received.  This is the case regardless of how long I wait, and the account is
>set up to check every five minutes to see if there is any mail qued and
>waiting.

There might be a problem with one of the mail messages that you
received. If you have a corrupted header in one of the files Mail.app
gets stuck trying to extract the mail. Open the Active.mbox as a
folder. If you see something like .incoming* or the like (everything
with the word incoming in it) then look at the contents. It should be
the message that confused Mail.app. Read it and then delete it.
After that everything should work fine. (except if the message is also
still in /usr/spool/mail/yourLoginName, if this is the case, edit this
file and delete everything that belongs to that message, that should
help).

> (2) When I delete entries from the mailbox the space is not reclaimed on the
> hard drive.  Neither quitting the app or rebooting helps.  If destroy the
> mailboxes however, the space is immediately reclaimed.  What's the deal here??

You need to compact the mailbox with the the command you find in the
utility menu of Mail.app. It might be though, that if your Mail.app is
confused with bad headers, it does not work. So get rid of your
problem with incoming mail first.

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."   G.B. Shaw   |  rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet