[comp.sys.next] Librarian 2.0 and man pages

das15@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Douglas A Scott) (03/03/91)

I apologize profusely if this question has been answered before--I went back
through dozens of weeks of comp.sys.next trying to find the discussion, to
no avail:

Is there a trick to getting Librarian 2.0 to index directories containing
nroff -man format files?  It seems to just quit trying immediately.  I do
not want to have all my man pages converted by catman for obvious space
reasons.  Is this one of the "will be fixed in 2.1" facts-of-life?  Lib 1.0
seemed to be able to read many different formats of files, and then convert
them beautifully for display.

P.S.  I do know about the index-update bug already.

Thanks in advance.

Douglas Scott
zardoz!doug%woof.columbia.edu

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (03/04/91)

In article <1991Mar3.032957.17703@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> das15@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Douglas A Scott) writes:
>Is there a trick to getting Librarian 2.0 to index directories containing
>nroff -man format files?  It seems to just quit trying immediately.  I do

You should have a look at
/NextLibrary/Documentation/Unix/ManPages/.index/ixBuildOptions
and the man page of ixBuild. Be aware however that the file mentioned
above seems to have a bug. You probably should add
/NextLibrary/Documentation/Unix/ManPages
to the end of this line (make sure it is ALL on ONE line!).

Ronald

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."   G.B. Shaw   |  rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet