[comp.sys.next] Where is Control-/?

gjditchfield@watmsg.uwaterloo.ca (Glen Ditchfield) (03/03/91)

How do I get Terminal to generate control-/ and control-\ on a NeXTstation?
The / and \ keys up on the numeric key pad don't seem to respond to the
Control modifier.

    Glen Ditchfield  gjditchfield@violet.uwaterloo.ca  Office: DC 2517
Dept. of Computer Science, U of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, N2L 3G1

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (03/03/91)

In article <1991Mar2.205755.6799@watmath.waterloo.edu> gjditchfield@watmsg.uwaterloo.ca (Glen Ditchfield) writes:

>How do I get Terminal to generate control-/ and control-\ on a NeXTstation?
>The / and \ keys up on the numeric key pad don't seem to respond to the
>Control modifier.

This is a "feature" of the "new" and "improved" keyboards.  I suggest that
you call your NeXT salesperson and ask them to provide you with a keyboard
that isn't deficient.  Perhaps they can even swap your "new" keyboard for
a "classic" keyboard that doesn't exhibit this problem.

The answer when I'm not pissing and moaning about the new keyboard, and the
one that NeXT is likely to foist on you is to use the "Keyboard" application
to define a new keyboard map that includes these characters on someother key.
Look in /NextDeveloper somewhere for it.

louie

gene@ponder.csci.unt.edu (Gene De Lisa) (03/03/91)

In article <1991Mar2.205755.6799@watmath.waterloo.edu> gjditchfield@watmsg.uwaterloo.ca (Glen Ditchfield) writes:

>How do I get Terminal to generate control-/ and control-\ on a NeXTstation?
>The / and \ keys up on the numeric key pad don't seem to respond to the
>Control modifier.

I had the same problem with kermit; the esc char by default is control \
I solved this by putting the following lines in .kermrc

set modem hayes
set line /dev/cua
set speed 1200
set baud 1200
set esc 9

This last line sets the esc char to be control-I which == 9
(control-a is 1 control-b is 2 etc).

Of course if you're not asking about kermit then this is useless :)

--
more direct:

vortech!gene@Central.Sun.COM

anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (03/03/91)

In article <1991Mar3.002740.406@solo.csci.unt.edu> gene@ponder.csci.unt.edu (Gene De Lisa) writes:

>I had the same problem with kermit; the esc char by default is control \
>I solved this by putting the following lines in .kermrc

>[...]
>set esc 9

>This last line sets the esc char to be control-I which == 9
>(control-a is 1 control-b is 2 etc).

Depending on what you're connecting to, you may find it useful
to keep your tab key (normally ^I) working.  Many kermits
use ^] as the escape key, which seem to conflict with a minimum
number of other applications.  So I chose set esc 28 (control-])
to solve the control-\ (29) problem.

<> Freedom is always freedom for the one who thinks
<> differently. -- Rosa Luxemburg
--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson

scott@erick.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (03/04/91)

In article <1991Mar2.234239.21446@ni.umd.edu> louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) writes:
   In article <1991Mar2.205755.6799@watmath.waterloo.edu> gjditchfield@watmsg.uwaterloo.ca (Glen Ditchfield) writes:

   >How do I get Terminal to generate control-/ and control-\ on a NeXTstation?
   >The / and \ keys up on the numeric key pad don't seem to respond to the
   >Control modifier.

   This is a "feature" of the "new" and "improved" keyboards.  I suggest that
   you call your NeXT salesperson and ask them to provide you with a keyboard
   that isn't deficient.  Perhaps they can even swap your "new" keyboard for
   a "classic" keyboard that doesn't exhibit this problem.

It's not a "feature" (nor misfeature) of the keyboard.  Apparently, it's
a bug in the NeXT internals - someone simply forgot to map it correctly.
Presumably that will be fixed in NextStep2.1.

[See!  That's what you get for changing keyboards, guys! :-) ]

As mentioned, you can use Keyboard to remap it to something else.
Otherwise (and here's the promo) you can download Stuart2.11
from the archives.  I placed a "fix" in it to internally remap
ctrl-\ to be correct.  Since not many other apps have a need for
ctrl-\ (can't think of any besides terminal emulators), that's not
really that bad of a solution.  Of course, I didn't realize that ctrl-/
was broken - maybe because I didn't realize there is such an
ASCII character.  Or, did you mean that as ctrl-"the key with /
on it and \ in the shifted position?"

Later,
--
scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	GAC Undergrad

	(Louis A. Mamakos) writes:
>This is a "feature" of the "new" and "improved" keyboards.  I suggest that
>you call your NeXT salesperson and ask them to provide you with a keyboard
>that isn't deficient.  Perhaps they can even swap your "new" keyboard for
>a "classic" keyboard that doesn't exhibit this problem.

I think I understand why NeXT was so eager to swap keyboards with
us; on the one I'm using right now, all the keys are there and in
the right shapes, but there are some additional green legends:

Q Lighter
W Heavier
E Italic
1 Help
2 Define

Also, the  Delete  key is labeled  Backspace  and  Delete  is in
green.

We must both think we exchanged "defective" keyboards!!!
(And we're both happy!)

					-=EPS=-